sagging '67 skylark

thesnyder

I recently bought a 67 skylark that appears to sag on the right side. I put new shocks and new tires, still sags. Has also developed quite a squeak in the chassis. Everything with a fitting has been greased; any thoughts?

Otherwise, I love the car; 340-4, bucket seats, floor console, a real joy to drive.

This is either: a function of weak springs, or weak body mounts, or the unmentionable ( twisted frame).

The best alternative is to take it to a body shop who agrees to check the frame for alignment. While they have it up body mounts can be confirmed or eliminated. If the frame cheks true ( straight) then you might invest in some new springs to see if this fixes it. If the frame is weak or twisted the body shop would be able to give you further advice.

Please, let us know what the problem is.

Good Luck.

JD

I think I can rule out a twisted frame as the car has never been in an accident. Do springs sag as they get older? Does the fact that the spare tire, battery,drive wheel and air conditioner are all on the right side lead anyone to think that right side springs would go first? It goes in a for a front end alignment on wednesday so I'll see what the alignment shop says. Would weak body mounts be squashed, cracked or what?

Guest sixpack2639

Bob, frames can get twisted without having been in major or minor accidents. The right sized pothole and speed can bottom the front suspension out enough to twist the frame so I wouldn't rule it out. As for the springs, yes, they can weaken with age and the more weight on the right side could cause it to weaken faster. Carl

My real life experience was with a 69 Cutlass Convertible. The car always seemed to lean to the drivers side no matter where it was. Being more pronounced from the rear I tried realigning the bumper, but it was obvious the car was lower on the drivers side. This car by the way had 11K original miles on it when my father bought it in 1973.

Several years later my brother lifted the body and found the mount under the drivers seat had rotted and pushed past the rubber bushing. That was repaired and straightened the car out.

I'm not saying your car is doing this, I'm just saying you should check it out.

JD

I installed rear coils in my 65 Skylark a couple of years ago. I had done this before so it was not that eventful, that is until I finished and looked at my car. The one side was a good inch to two inches differant, side to side. Turns out when I lowered the car down the one coil had not seated properly. I had to take it all apart, jack the car up and make sure the coils on both sides were seated properly before lowering all the way and connecting the shocks. Maybe one of your coils is weaker than the other?? Or the rubber cushion is shot on one side. Hope this helps.

So here's what happened:

I took the car to a suspension and alignment shop here in Portland called "The Line up Shop". Great guys, excellent work if anybody local needs it. Turns out the right front bushings on the upper and lower control arms were shot. I saw them; they looked like melted chocolate. We guessed oils soaked the lowers and the uppers sucumbed to the extra heat thrown off by 39 years of running the air conditioner;I bought the car in california last august. They replaced the bushings which cured the squeaks and brough the front nearly level. Then they set the car on level ground and raised it by the front center. When they did that the right rear coil sat down about 2 inches. The verdict: weak right rear spring.

So anybody got a reccomendation on new coil springs for the old girl?

Thanks for the solution post. I hadn't even thought of the a frame bushings but it made sense.

As far as springs go, I bought a set from my NaPA shop who ordered them based on the description. By this I mean the diameter of the springs material, the number of turns in the spring and the style of the ends ( open or pigtail). I was happy with them.

Post some pictures of the youngster when you're done, okay?

And Congrats on a great purchase.