Sign in to follow this  
coaltownkid

Need info on Parts interchanging for '53 Buick Super!

A friend of mine has a good friend of his who supposedly has a 1954 Buick Roadmaster (I'm 99% sure I was told it was a '54 Raodmaster this guy has and not a Super!!??) four door. I myself, have a 1953 Buick Super two door. Will the front bumper setups, grill bar, rear bumper setup, etc. etc. be compatible with my '53 two door super??

if anyone would be kind enough to give me a rundown of whatever you can think of cosmetically that WILL interchange and WILL NOT interchange with my '53, i would be very appreciateive!!

Also, were there any other items beyond cosmetics that would NOT interchange with my '53?? (Such as trans., seats, radio, antenna, wheels, etc., etc.) I just might have a decent opportunity here and I want to go into it with a good bit of knowledge if I do!! Thanks again in advance!!

Jason wink.gif

I'm sure the 54 Expert ( Mr. Earl) will jump in here shortly, but I think the only interchangeable parts are the trims around the headlights and the taillight lens'.

The 54 was a new body style, with totally different dimensions, and if you look at the two side by side you'll see that they are completely different.

JD

Guest imported_MrEarl

Jason,

JohnD is right in that the 54 was vastly redesigned. Not much will interchange body wise. The headlight doors are different in that the 53 was stainless and of a checkerboard design whereas the 54 was pot metal had horizantal lines. The engines should interchange. The 54 Roadmaster had 200 hp while the 53 Super had around 170. I'm not sure but I think the transmissions will intechange, althought there was no big improvement in them to my knowledge.Both were bout as slow as a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.The power brakes were close for the two years. Steering wheels close but not exact.

Sorry to bear the bad news of not much interchanging. What all do you need? I know where there is a 53 Roadmaster that was totaled in 53 with 300 miles on it. Motor and drivetrain are still there, some trim.

so where is this 54 Roadmaster, maybe we can swap. wink.gif

Earl-

Thank you for clearing taht all up for me. As far ast he 54 Raod amster, I believe its located in NY above manhatten, upstate. I have to get the lowdoen on it but if you're interested, I could hook you up with the guy so you could talk to him yourself?? As far as parts, I'm in need of the upper front bumper along with its crome guide light holders (can't remember what they're actually called if anything??), I also need a complete rear bumper, (although one guy on this forum told me he has one, haven't heard from him after that though,...we'll see i guess??) so i can still use one for now. Also will probably need an upper grill bar (mine is probably not savable, I have to inspect it furthur), and I also am looking for exterior door handles, and the chrome garnish that goes all around both doors that hold the glass in place,...mine is all pitted!!

So, earl,....

What about the 1952 Roadmaster? Would I have a better chance with parts from a '52 Buick Raodmaster four door?? I ask bcause i found out about a guy who lives about two hours north of me who supposedly has a bunch of 1952 roadmaster stuff,...chrome, bumpers, trim, etc. Let me know ASAP on this as the guy is getting antsy. he wants $500 for everything, but I have yet to see anything. if the stuff will interchange I'll go and see him and take it from there.

Thanks in advance!!

Jason

I still think you're going to find not much interchanges. Back then it was like a source of pride to have the cars look different each year. Now it is just a farce that they make everything exactly the same.

Meanwhile, North of Manhattan is my neck of the woods. Hey Mr. Earl, If you need someone to check on the Roadie for you just holler. I'm up for a road trip.

JD