Sign in to follow this  
Aanderson44

'53 Studebaker Commander, anyone?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very very nice !!! ooo.gifooo.gifooo.gif You should now tackle 1 to 1 scale !!!! grin.gif

............Steve </div></div>

Steve,

I've pretty much been there, done that, got the T-shirt in years past. I guess I'm far more enamored with miniatures than the real thing--so model cars is where it's at for me, and has been since I was an 8-yr old kid back in 1952.

Why concentrate on models? In the late 1960's, when I first heard of the fabulous collection of William Harrah, I came to rationalize my side of the car hobby simply by telling myself that I could have as comprehensive a collection, but at a price I could afford, and my "museum" wouldn't take up nearly so much real estate.

Art

Very nice job, I thought it was real. That's the car I learned to drive in. BTW, the AACA museum has a very nice example........Bob

Art:

Boy do you bring back memories. In 1956, I put together some interesting models. The only thing we had available were the 4 units put out by Revel, all 1956 models, Buick, Ford, Merc, and Chrysler. I was one of the first in my neighborhood to apply and experiment with plastic wood as a moulding compound. I made a complete fishmouth surround for the 56 Fords and then put in a bar grille that I had made from the plastic skeleton that the model parts were attached to. It was also fun putting those Merc taillights on the Ford as well and using the plastic wood to mold in and around them. Then Jo-Han came out with other models. I must have had about 20 or so when I went into the military in 61. While there my mother asked me if I wanted to keep the model cars and I said no, so she gave them to some kid down the block. Who knew then that they might be worth anything. Even at auto events today I see all kinds of pre-made, and promo models but I never see any of the old '56 Revel kits still in the box. Today, even with the full size versions that I have, I still have over 12 1:32, 1:25, and 1:18 scale cars and I find out that different companies are making new ones all the time. Unfortunately with the price you pay for them and the way they are made it does not make for much room to experiment. For example, two cars that I always said would have been great as convertibles are your Lowey designed Studebaker and the 68-69 Dodge Charger. A model of these would be great to experiment on to see what they might have looked like.

Hey, I have the real thing and I have to say, yours looks better. OK my grandfather bought mine new in 53 and it needs to be restored, got any paint or parts left over?

Great car and I have to agree with your model concept.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice job, I thought it was real. That's the car I learned to drive in. BTW, the AACA museum has a very nice example........Bob </div></div>

Bob, I can get a bit carried away. '63 Studebaker Commander engine bay:

53Studebaker6-vi.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Art:

Boy do you bring back memories. In 1956, I put together some interesting models. The only thing we had available were the 4 units put out by Revel, all 1956 models, Buick, Ford, Merc, and Chrysler. I was one of the first in my neighborhood to apply and experiment with plastic wood as a moulding compound. I made a complete fishmouth surround for the 56 Fords and then put in a bar grille that I had made from the plastic skeleton that the model parts were attached to. It was also fun putting those Merc taillights on the Ford as well and using the plastic wood to mold in and around them. Then Jo-Han came out with other models. I must have had about 20 or so when I went into the military in 61. While there my mother asked me if I wanted to keep the model cars and I said no, so she gave them to some kid down the block. Who knew then that they might be worth anything. Even at auto events today I see all kinds of pre-made, and promo models but I never see any of the old '56 Revel kits still in the box. Today, even with the full size versions that I have, I still have over 12 1:32, 1:25, and 1:18 scale cars and I find out that different companies are making new ones all the time. Unfortunately with the price you pay for them and the way they are made it does not make for much room to experiment. For example, two cars that I always said would have been great as convertibles are your Lowey designed Studebaker and the 68-69 Dodge Charger. A model of these would be great to experiment on to see what they might have looked like. </div></div>

In 1956, Revell, in concert with AMT Corporation (who had the technology inhouse to vacuum-plate chrome parts for model kits) produced the following cars in 1:32 scale: '56 Ford Fairlane Sunliner convertible, '56 Mercury Phaeton 4dr hardtop, '56 Buick Roadmaster hardtop, '56 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible, '56 Chrysler New Yorker hardtop, and '56 Lincoln Continental MkII. Of these, the 56 Ford and 56 Continental were reissued by Revell-Monogram about 10 years ago, and all of them show up frequently on eBay.

As for "what if" cars, here is one I started on a few years back, still not done, but I will finish it, probably this year. It's a "What if Duesenberg Inc. had continued in business up to Pearl Harbor?" Styled with many European touches, it "predicts" a lot of Detroit styling of 1942-48. The storyline would go something like this: Independent front suspension, still supercharged DOHC Straight Eight engine, streamlined, with distinctive Duesenberg cues in the styling:

41Duesenberg3-vi.jpg