Wiring Splices under the seats

Gary Frank

1990 Convertible - I just removed the passanger seat and carpet to expose the wiring plastic raceway to repair electical splices. I was suprise to find most of them were in very bad condition, corroded and burnt. It was not an easy task and to do it right you should remove both seats console and the carpet. I plan to do this next winter, I have enought to do now. The carpet under matting was not damaged by moisture, but it seemed that the electrical connections were. May be condensation or just the poor manner in which they they made the splices. There are many splices under the seats in the plastic tracking and I know this will be problem in the near future. I repaired 3 splices on the passanger side and one was a main ground connection with 11 wires splices togeather. The HVAC vent under the seat blows over this area and might be an exlpaination for the condensation apparenace?<P>Hope this may help others.<P>Gary Frank

Guest Greg Ross

Gary,<BR>If you are right about the A/C being a major source of humid air to this area then this sort of damage is not going to be confined to just convertibles. Perhaps what I discovered on the weekend is related to just such a poor ground. I'll have to consult the manual on this but what I found was the rear defogger fuse basically melted. It (the defogger) had stopped functioning last week. I'd been messing around in the trunk with power antenna wiring and first thought I had disturbed or damaged something there.<BR>Doing the fuse check I decided to pull them all and found the body of that particular fuse distorted from heat, evidencing high resistance somewhere.<BR>The other adventure I got into was due to intending some preventative maintainance. My right front turning light had quit several weeks ago so I picked up a pair of GE 890 bulbs, shifted the battery to gain access to the right side-no problem. Went to the Drivers' side and realized there was some interference to get thru. Air box, circuit breaker block and washer reservoir. After the fact I was glad I wasn't paying a dealers' service dept. to replace that light bulb! The adventure isn't over yet though, after getting the left front corner back together I got the annoying "low washer fluid" alert! Just handled the tank and these's fluid in it! Went and had a look and found the rivets securing the cap on the level sender had pulled out-Win some-loose some! I'm now getting the Low fluid level alert every time the ignition is turned on, I'll try disconnecting the battery or cancelling out current codes. Electrical faults are probably the most difficult to remedy.