Help me decide!

steve90

Ok, folks, need your help. I already own a cherry 1990 Reatta coupe with just 20,000 miles. The car is driven only on dry days and stored winters. I'm going to buy a second car<BR>to drive on all other days that I don't drive the Reatta. It's got to be a Buick, but which will be the best move in the long run, considering long term dependability, costs, parts etc ??? Here are my two choices: <P>1) A second 1990 Reatta. 28,000 miles, almost<BR>perfect, minimal winter driving. Can buy for between $9000-$10,000. Great winter car and maybe a future parts car far down the road? <P>2) A 1999 Riviera (last year made). Another future collector car. Great looking "rocket ship". 3800 Supercharger, premium fuel, 22,000 miles, loaded with every available option, perfect, little winter driving. Can buy for between $20,000-$22,000.<P>C'mon, no Reatta bias here. Give me your honest opinions. Thanks all!<P>Steve<BR>Minneapolis <p>[This message has been edited by steve90 (edited 01-05-2001).]

The Reatta sounds to good to be a dialy driver. I'm sure you can find a high mileage Reatta some where for less. The Riv. sounds good and it is a way to study retrofit of a sc3800 to a Reatta. I by the way just got a '94 Road Master Wagon with the LT1 (Vette motor) lites up the tires and a good towing car.

Guest allbuick

We have both. My wife has the choice of driving our Reattas (one convertible, one coupe) or her Silver Arrow Riviera. The ride, comfort, power, and handling of the Riv is such a great package she finds herself driving it way more than planned. The Silver Arrow is #187 of 200 and already has 14,000 miles on it. We bought it to enjoy and she is. I know that most of the select few that got Silver Arrows have tucked them away as collectors cars and don't know what an experience they are missing. Reattas are great cars but for a daily driver I would proably go with a Riv. They can be bought very reasonably because their resale value is very weak. Too bad, it is a nice piece. Besides all of that, if something happens to the Riv it will be easier to have repaired.

Hi Steve.....Being a Reatta daily driver, one would probably expect me to say Reatta over Riv, but since you all ready have a cherry Reatta, I'd go for the Riv. For less parts hassle, and easier upkeep, the Riv would certainly be the best. Now that's what people with common sense would do, but did I tell you that I own 2 Reattas and drive 1 daily????!!!! ( I know I did, so to hell with common sense.....GO REATTA!!!!!! )<P>Mike Book BCA # 9202<BR>Reatta Club # 407<BR>BDE # 109

Steve, Winn Stephens Buick has an 89 for sale. Its been on their lot for a while. Make them an offer. I have driven my 89 for three winters without a hitch.

The Reatta and Riviera are two of my favorite cars ever! The Riv would be a better daily driver but i wont want anything to happen to it ir the Reatta. I have a good choice for you. How about a 1999 Regal GS. It has the same superchareged 3800 as the Riv and weighs about 300 pounds less. I own one and its downright fast, plus very nice inside, with leather, heated seats and a Monsoon stereo, plus youll save alto of money over a Riv.

Neither.<P>The reason I say that is because you are considering the cars for the wrong reasons. <P>If you want the Riv, buy it and enjoy it for what it is. However, do not expect it to have any significant value because it is a last year of production model. There is no more demand for Rivs now than there was when they were in production. I've seen CHERRY 64 and 65 Rivs go thru Kruse collector car auctions and bring little more than $5-7K. To get any real return on the car, buy it with ultra low miles, store it, wait 20-30 years, and hope. Even with all of that, it is unlikely it will bring what you paid for it. About the time you think it is right to try to sell it, I promise you there will be other stored Silver Arrow Rivs and other low mileage examples on the market. <P>As for the Reatta, I wouldn't recommend a second one as a daily driver if you depend on it to get to school or work. That is because many of the parts have to be ordered. If you have a critical component needing replacement, you'll likely be walking, hitching a ride from your wife, or renting a car while yours sits and waits for the part to arrive.<P>Look at and DRIVE a 98 or later Regal GS. That is the car with the supercharged 3.8L engine. It will blow the doors off of nearly every car out there except a 'Vette, Camaro SS or Mustang Cobra. (Check the Motor Trend 0-60 times if you think I'm wrong!) Dependable, fast, relatively cheap for a low-mileage lease return, readily available parts, and very comfortable on long trips. <P>Good luck.<P>Joe<P>------------------<BR>1965 Wildcat Custom Convertible<BR>1970 GS coupe<BR>1990 Reatta coupe<BR>1999 Regal GSE<BR>2002 Reatta II coupe (I wish!)