Caution about trickle chargers

CAUTION: Trickle charges can KILL you battery. Most trickle charges are constant amperage (i.e. 2 amps) and monitor/vary the voltage. A constant amp "trickle" will deplete the electrolyte (read: acid). Once this happens NO amount of charging or adding distilled water will bring it back to life. Check out the "smart chargers". They produce constant voltage and vary the amperage. This fools the battery into "thinking" it is being used. No loss of electrolyte occurs. Search the web for brands and suppliers. I have 3. One on my Select 60, one on each of my motorcycles... all happily sleeping in the garage during the Long Island winter. I'll probably take out the Reatta soon and will definately be riding the Wing this winter. wink.gif <BR>

I use what is called a "Battery Tender" on my '89, which I don't drive in inclement weather. Prior to buying the B.T., my Reatta went through 3 batteries (in less than 50k miles!). Now I never have a problem starting the car, and my battery hasn't died since. This marvelous little battery saver cost about $60 online, and has more than paid for itself.

I would like to add that the Battery Tender is NOT a trickle charger. It senses when the battery charge begins to drop, and then automatically goes on. It also turns itself off when it senses the battery is suffieciently charged. I've used the B.T. for 3 years now.

Now you've got it!!!! Yeah, the Battery Tender is the smart charger I use too. I've got one on each of my two motorcycles and one on the Reatta (all happily sleeping in the garage). Unfortunately it's likely that only the GoldWing will be out this winter at all. By the way the Battery Tender can be found for less than $60... I've seen then on sale for about $35 in some MC mags.

I am interested in the battery tender and inf. much appreciated, what does it look like as well who makes them, how is it connected to the Reatta/Riviera?<BR>many thanks<P>Prakash

Raj. the B.T. looks just like a small trickle charger, i.e. about 3"h x 3"w x 4"l... say 7cm x 7cm x10cm. I attaches with a permanent type electrical connector or can be used with the supplied clips. Will try to get you some sources of supply today. wink.gif