Front end "klunk"

I've got a 1990 coupe with 78,000 miles that had a front end "klunk" in it when I bought it. I've replaced the front & rear struts, put new stabilizer links ( Moog brand ), and replaced the bearing plates. Still got a "klunk"! The mechanic working on it disconnected the new stabilizer links, and NO KLUNK! Could the Moog links be too stiff? Any ideas, or anyone had the same problem and found a definitive fix????? Any & all help will be appreciated!<P>Mike Book BCA # 9202<BR>Reatta Club # 407

Mike,<P>When does it clunk? If it does it going around corners, you probably have bad CV joints. <P>Best way to check this is to set the emergency brake, raise the car on jack stands, keeping the wheels free, and rotate the wheel on each side while watching the half shafts. While turning each wheel, listen for any noise, and watch the shaft to make sure there is no slack in it. That means that when you turn the wheel, the axle should turn IMMEDIATELY. If you turn the wheel any distance, even as little as one-half to one inch before the axle starts turning, this will indicate very worn CV joints. <P>If they are worn, they will likely clunk especially when going around a corner. At that point, you will have to replace the axle for that side. TRW and other major manufacturers make replacement units for about $90 with a lifetime warranty. A shop will charge about $100-150 labor for each side. <P>If it clunks when you hit a bump, you probably need to replace the inner bushings as well as the outer ones. New outer bushing will cause the sway bar to move (or twist) more, and therefore bump up against the car with more force, causing the clunking sound you hear. <P>Good luck!<P>Joe<BR><P>------------------<BR>1965 Wildcat Custom Convertible<BR>1970 GS coupe<BR>1990 Reatta coupe<BR>1999 Regal GSE<BR>2002 Reatta II coupe (I wish!)

change the bushings where the stabilizer shaft meets the frame. be sure to lubricate with silicon based lube(petro based will ruin the rubber). since disconneting the stabilizer shaft got rid of the noise, this is pretty clear that this is where the problem is. you'll probably find the shaft is severely corroded where the bushings meet, so you will probably need to remove the shaft completely and thouroughly clean it. this fix improves ride and handling cosiderably, too! I don't reccomend poly bushings for this, too noisy. use factory rubber ones. The moog end links are just fine.<p>[This message has been edited by bigrog (edited 12-21-2000).]

Thanks to everyone for the tips on my problem. I talked to Barney last night & he also thinks it's the split bushing on the other end, so I ordered two new bushings & clamps today. They are supposed to be in next Wednesday, so I'll keep you all posted on the results. I wanted those replaced when I did the Stab. links, but the mechanic I'm using was adament that they just couldn't possibly be bad....we'll see what happens next Wednesday!!!!! rolleyes.gif<P>Mike

Well, after all was said and done, Barney was right again!!!!! Replaced the bushings up against the frame area, and NO MORE KLUNK! My mechanic still thinks it is impossible that those bushings can go bad, but he has no other answer, so he'll just have to put this experience in his book of little known facts. Thanks to everyone that had suggestions! grin.gif<P>Mike BCA # 9202<BR>Reatta Club # 407<BR>BDE # 109

This job is so easy, and you don't even get your hands dirty.<P>Honestly, I believe if these mechanics would stop and think, their rate of success would be higher. <P>Glad my suggestion worked. <P><P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.