Cold Weather and Brakes

CReichert

Hi-<P>Now that it's getting wintery cold in Ohio, I've noticed something about my brakes. When I use them the first few times in the morning after sitting throughout the night (at 15-30 degree temperatures)I hear a click. It happens exactly when I depress the break pedal and it 'clicks' the first few times I use the pedal and then not at all. What is this? I haven't noticed any correlation between this sound and any malfunction, but because of the brake failure issue, I want to know as soon as anything might be faulty with my brakes. Any ideas? This is a 90 coupe with 93K miles.<P>Thanks in advance,<BR>Constance<P>

• 2 weeks later...

This is most likely the sound of the brake pads slidding on the spindal. The pads may be new or old. The click is because a small bit of rust is on the spindle where the pad should slide freely. This is not very dangerous but is annoying and in extreme cases can cause a grove to be worn in the knuckel or caliper (bad). It can also cause premature uneven pad wear. <P>The fix:<P>Remove brake pads and clean all spots on caliper and knuckel with sandpaper, wire brush, or wire wheel. Make it smooth and flat but don't much more than the rust. <BR>Remove caliper bolts from caliper slides. Clean all parts well with brake clean and lube with silicone brake grease only. All parts should slide smoothly. The rear pads have to slide too. <P>This should be done at every brake job but is too often forgotten. If your having someone elce do this you might as well have them do the full job and replace the pads if removed. Turn or replace rotors if pads are changed or the car may have hard braking / pedal pulsating in the future.<P>Tom