RPM's

I have a 1990 Reatta, and just the other day I pulled into a drive way and the car's RPM's went way high, then low, then high again, and while doing that, the car was making weird noises, deep throaty noises. After a while of reving the car, it eventually goes away, and drives fine again. What is the problem?<P>Thanks!

Since no one else has replied, I imagine this is not a common problem. My best guess would be the Idle Air Control may be sticking causing it to possibly overcorrect when trying to maintain idle speed. Usually a dirty IAC shows up as an unstable idle.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

My 89 had this problem before the transmission went out. It could also be related to the kick down wire that leads from the intake to the transmission telling your car to drop into a passing gear. The unit that is connected to the arm holding this wire has a small rubber diaphram. It's in some rare model cars quite spendy. Can be around $160 to replace. The problem is that moisture variations and driving tempetures break down the structure of the rubber diaphram. causing it to crack and not be able to tell you tourque converter what properly to do. This causes it to run fast and if left alone can burn out your overdrive clutch's in the tranny for those are the easiest to heat in the parked position. Hope that helps a little.

HI Portman - <BR>When the car rev's, is it only by a few hundred rpm's, or is it more significant? I ask, as mine rev's (when sitting at idle in park or drive), but usually only between 700 & 1000 rpm (it's definately computer related, as it just got a new engine & it does it with that too). It also happens to be a problem that the dealership in Phoenix tried to locate, but had a tough time with. Since I've been back in NH with the car (and in cooler weather) the car has behaved badly far more infrequently than in the hotter climates.<BR>Don't know how much all that'll help ya - but it's worth some thought ...<BR>~Brenda<P>------------------<BR>REATTA SITE:<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html" TARGET=_blank><BR>http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html</A>

Well I took it into the dealership and they said it was the ECM, the computer or brain of the car. $375.00 to fix!! And that's WITH the %10 off discount he gave me! But it runs great now.