`Rolls~Royce Springfield Thermostat Liquid???

Guest Silverghost

Guest Silverghost

Hello to All!!! I have a 1927 Rolls~Royce Springfield Phantom I (S 136PM) with an early Springfield (factory) add-on themostatic radiator shutter unit that replaced the manual control. It consists of a special water outlet elbow housing that contains the thermostat element and a special temperature sensitive liquid. The liquid is contained in the housing by a flange+gasket cover. It would appear that after nearly 80 years some of this special liquid has leaked out resulting in the thermostat not being able to fully open the shutters at the desired running temperature of approx 170*F.It now only opens about half-way resulting in an over-heated engine!!! I would like to open the flange cover and add the proper amount of this special liquid. Does anyone know what type of origional liquid was used , how much, and where to obtain it??? Does anyone out there repair+refill these units??? I am aware that later thermostats were solder sealed at the factory...BUT... my unit is not sealed!!! Just remove six screws and add "Special Liquid" + replace gasket!!! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank You!!!

Brad Hunter 1 215 947 4676

Huntingdon Valley Pa(near Philadelphia)

Silverghost1926@msn.com [color:\\"black\\"]