Sign in to follow this  
Amphicar BUYER

YEEEEE HAW!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's funny you said all the campers were off the road parked. </div></div>

There is the difference between elderly, retired, "RV-ing for fun" folks and those who are doing this for a living. The traffic was much better anyway after they bailed for a cup of Geritol, the evening constatutional and to read the AARP quarterly. grin.gifsmirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I posted your story on my airstream group with some 2,200 members, and the head group leader quote is: </div></div>

That, my friend is poor form to forward a post w/o asking first. frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like driving at night, but you took a BIG risk. </div></div>

As I do every time I get out of bed. I have been labeled a "Risk taker" many times. (Proudly)

"Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash."

George S. Patton

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will note this airstream group is for "full time RV's". </div></div>

Maybe so, but pulling an RVfor fun VS. a flatbed car trailer for a living are two different animals. Why do you think so many trucks were still on the road? These are two VERY different pieces of equipment. It's a moot point.

SO I have said my peace on this. We made the right decision for us and our circumstances and would do it again if faced with the same dilemma. It is sooooo easy to second guess another's choices when you were not there to experience the whole story. My point was not about the weather anyway. It was about properly securing your load in the event of an emergency. (I not speaking about your pants either! grin.gif)

I'll leave you with one thing to ponder....

"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it." (Chinese Proverb)

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point was not about the weather anyway. It was about properly securing your load in the event of an emergency. </div></div>

I don't see rear straps or the mention of them ,so I am compelled to chime in.. 2 10000lbs straps is NOT enough to secure a car of any size on a car hauler. A head on collision would rip those straps right off. We all see the video of the mom(test dummy) trying to hold a baby in the front seat of a car during an head on collision.The forces are incredible. In a head on collision you would be wearing that car as a hat blush.gif Here is the math to back up my post. Please keep in mind the "G" forces quadruple at 40 mph. This equation is @ 10 MPH which is just about all your straps could handle on their own. The two combined will get you up to about a 15 MPH head on collision crazy.gif

Suppose a 3000 lb. car were to crash into the rear of a truck that weighs 30,000#. The road is asphalt and the coefficient of drag is 0.7, the car is going 10 miles per hour, the truck is at rest.

The momentum of the system before the collision is:

Momentum = Mass (car) x Velocity (car) + Mass (truck) x Velocity (truck)

= 3000 x 10 + 0 x 30,000

= 30000

Since the external forces acting on the system during the impact are minimal (the brakes of the truck are off) momentum is conserved. Thus, after the accident the following relation holds true:

Momentum before =Momentum after

30,000 = 3000 x V + 30,000 x V

V = 30,000/33,000 = 0.9 mph

where "V" is now the post impact velocity of the vehicles. (We assume here that the truck and the car are moving with the same velocity after impact)

Thus, the car loses 9.1 mph = 13.3 ft/sec due to the action of the retarding impact force.

If the car is shortened about 8" in this impact, then the distance through which the retarding force acts is about 12" (the truck starts moving during the impact; assume it moves about 4") so that the car travels about 1' during the impact with an average velocity of about 8 ft/sec. Thus, the duration of the impact can be estimated as follows:

Distance = Velocity x Time

Time = Distance/Velocity

T = 1 ft/(8 ft/sec) = 0.125 sec

So the car decelerates from 14.7 ft/sec to 1.3 ft/sec in a time of 0.125 sec. Thus, its average deceleration is:

13.4 ft/sec / 0.125 sec = 107 ft/sec/sec = 3.33 g

The average force acting on the car then is 3.33 x 3,000# = 9990#

This is also the force that acts on the truck (Newton's Third Law: Every force has an equal and opposite reaction force): So that the average acceleration of the truck is: 30,000/9990 = 3 ft/sec/sec = 0.1 g

South Paw,

Right you are! You don't see the rear straps. I did address this in my earlier post. " <span style="font-style: italic">Along with the tire webs, there is an 8000LB winch cable for safety. I will be adding 2 more webs for the rear</span>." I hope this makes it clearer. I was not about ttto get out in that cccccold wind to take a ppppppicture. grin.gifgrin.gif So I took that shot over my shoulder so you don't see the 8,000 winch cable in addition to the two 12,000# webs (I was mistaken, they are 12,000# webs) on the front.

John

PS - Good job on the numbers! Not all of it relavent to our experience, but impressive none the less! cool.gif

When towing, I will travel at night before I will travel during the day. To many idiots on the highway, too much conjestion, the list goes on and one, many times we wont pull out of the driveway until 11ish. Cant see why that is a problem.

Joe

While I don't stay away from day-time towing, I certainly understand your point and have done plenty of night-time towing. In the middle of the night, who's on the freeway? Professionals.

Pay attention to possible drunks. When I see an obvious swerver on the road, I tend to stay behind him until I know I can pass and get well away from him. I don't like it if they're right behind me.

Yeah but depending on where you're driving you have reduced light and wildlife moving around. In my case it's deer, in other places it Lions & Tigers & Bears on my blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I couldn't resist that, but in the area you live it could be horses, cattle, moose, bears, etc. grin.gif