Good paint job at a fair price

jipjobs

I have had more people ask me about who painted my old 1942 Dodge and all I can say is MACO! Of course we all know what the trick to getting a good paint job is just taking your time and preparing the car for painting. I did all my own body work and then I sprayed a coat of sanding primer to get a nice smooth finish. Before I took it to MACO I used 600 grit to sand down the primer and it was well worth the time spent to get such a smooth paint job. Oh yes and I think one of the other reasons that my paint job came out so good? Was the young people who work at MACO really enjoyed spraying an older car and not a Japanese tin can. One thing interesting is that when people look at the finish and I tell them its a $500 paint job most of them say they thought it would cost them thousands of dollars to get a paint job so well done. So if your strap for cash and want that old machine to look nice and shinny-go to MACO but do the prep work yourself.

PS I placed an attachement picture if anyone is interested the paint job I got.

post-39117-143137878223_thumb.jpg

If anyone is in the Chicago area I found a guy that removes all of the chrome, lights, fat fenders, etc. and strips the car down to bare metal. Welds new metal for rust holes, fixes dents, puts on a primer coat, 2-3 coats of base, and 2 coats of clear coat. He does this all for the same price as a high end Maaco job that does not strip the car and fix the body without paying extra. He has really low over head costs and passes the savings on. He does not advertise and gets new work by word of mouth only. My car is in the finishing stages and looks awesome. If you would like to be introduced to him let me know. If it is in the next two weeks you can see my 1937 Dodge get its finishing touches. After that it goes into storage for the winter and you can see it in the spring at shows and cruises.

• 2 months later...

I received my car back and it is stunning. Why pay the high resto shop prices with all of their overhead costs included when there are small shops that give more personalized service at cheaper prices without compromising quality. If you are in the Chicago area contact Chris at Collision Decision. His phone number does not have a Chicago area code but he is in the Chicago area any way. Just tell him you saw my car (1937 Dodge) and want him to give a quote on doing yours. His phone number is 224-305-1699. If you want to ask me more questions about my car I would be happy to answer them.

post-42992-143137878229_thumb.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

About 25 years ago, a friend in the Maryland De Soto Owners Club has his 1950 De Soto sedan painted by Earl Schibe...he did all the body work, prep, and most of the masking...

Just before the car went into the booth, he asked the painter "please don't put any runs in it!"...

The job came out looking very good, probably at least as good as the factory paint.

I think they charged him $100 to shoot the car, probably acrylic enamel.

Definitely, "the proof is in the prep" when it comes to body finishes...