HELP! Alarm going off for no reason!

Reatta Man

My '90 coupe's alarm has started going off at odd times (last night at 11:30 p.m.) for no apparent reason. <P>I've not seen this problem discussed in here before, and have no idea how to diagnose it since I haven't found a shop manual. The battery and electrical system is good, and when it goes off, the interior lights are not on, so I don't suspect a bad door jamb switch. I haven't been able to duplicate it by banging on the car or glass with my hand. <P>Here's my questions:<P>1. Has anyone else had this problem?<BR>2. Were you able to fix it short of disabling the alarm?<BR>3. If so, is there a particular reason, such as a faulty switch or relay, that causes it to give a false alarm?<BR>4. Does anyone know how to diagnose problems with this system?<P>I'd REALLY like to keep the alarm active, since I drive it to some of the areas of San Antonio well known for their high theft rates, such as shopping malls and downtown during Spurs games. <P>Joe<BR>"In REAL life, there are NO recounts!"<P>------------------<BR>1965 Wildcat Custom Convertible<BR>1970 GS coupe<BR>1990 Reatta coupe<BR>1999 Regal GSE<BR>2002 Reatta II coupe (I wish!)

Guest allbuick

Had this problem on my 87 Grand National and found it to be a door lock cylinder shorting. How that caused it I don't know. Replaced the lock cylinder and it has not happened since. (3+ years ago)