Buick,Engineering. 1929

Guest norb

Man, that is so neat!. Judging by the background, it looks like a factory sponsored Holiday party. Correct? That floor looks like it's been clear coated! What songs did the band play?

That was one thing that was so impressive with the Centenial meet, all the music venues, especially the steel band that played down by the 56/57's. those students were absolutely fantastic!!!!

JD

Guest 1964 225 Roadster

Back In The Day, it was not uncommon for industrial groups to have "in-house" bands (no TV yet; and even earlier, no Radios!). It was good for morale, and camaraderie among the ranks.

I remember touring the Pierce-Arrow Factory Museum in Buffalo, during the '04 Grand National Meet. They had some of the original uniforms of the Pierce Arrow Company Band on display.

And that makes a lot of sense. I don't think you'd find anything like that today. Todays executives would probably fire anyone who tried to do someting to improve morale. Either that or shift the entire work process to some off-shore company and then complain when the economy back home is grinding to a screeching halt.

Sorry, I get so upset with the way some things are today. I think it would be great to have some of these older traditional things available again.

I live rather close to the Schenectady County airport. This is a small private airport with quite a bit of history and current activity. As I understand it , it was the first airport in the Upstate NY area and Charles Lindberg landed here in one of his earliest country barnstorming trips.

Anyway, for the last 3 summers the County has thrown a hangar dance. They hire one of the several big bands still plying their trade here and they have a open door dance in one of the hangars in July. What nostalgia! Gotta love it. July here is perfect at night.

JD