aww man good ol' flea-bay...

Guest ZondaC12

Guest ZondaC12

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-193...bayphotohosting

anyone comment on the price? to me it seems ok, but who knows what the reserve is?.....

whats funny is in the description:

This is a two-door coupe and there was only 11,400 of this edition made. I was told by a great man with alot of antique car knowledge, that this is called "the business edition". The car was made without a backseat in it so the business man could jump in and just throw his briefcase in the back and go on his way! Smart huh!?! Anyway, this 1938 Special has the 8 cylinder overhead motor in it which is another rare item. Most of them came with the straight 8.

the guy just seems to generally try to make it seem oh-so-rare-and-special, more than it actually is. but the kicker is that it has the "RARE 8 cylinder Overhead Motor" instead of the usual straight 8. wink.gif wow. nothing like a good laugh.

reminds me of the other ebay thread where someone said theyd seen an ad for a wildcat or something with the "400 Horsepower Knucklehead" engine. that had me laughing sooooo hard.

LOL, an engine for all us knuckleheads! Thanks for the laugh. I don't know anything about "business coupes" though. For all I know, the business man could just as easily throw his briefcase on the front seat, too. I think it was intended to be more of a salesman's car--but what do I know? I'm just another knucklehead. grin.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh man, I'd like to have that car. Even with the rare overhead engine. grin.gif

JD </div></div>

Even with an imperfect description, it appears to be a nice solid car. It would be nice to have (but I have more than enough projects already right now and the kids would be upset that there wouldn't be room for them).

Guest ZondaC12

yeah, however i dont care for the color. purple just doesnt seem right. personally i'd want it dark blue, or the gray that mine is, or black. thats a quandry i have, for when someday i get my car completely restored, whether i should try to keep some original paint and keep that color, or have it changed to black. i see a real lot of 37's and 38's painted black, and i LOOOVVVEE it. it looks really nice, particularly on ones like mine, the trunkback sedan. i just melt when i see the black paintjob and the wide-whites, and all the chrome. just beautiful.

but back on topic yes certianly a decent car.

Guest 1964 225 Roadster

With a little research, you will find that Purple was the standard color that year, if you got the optional Overhead Motor. It was all part of the Knucklehead Convenience Package...

If there was an overhead motor in 1938 (which GM seemed to forget to tell the world about) then is there a possibility there wasn an UNDERhead motor? Or a knucklehead motor (for Three Stooges fans) or maybe an over and under motor?

Could you get air conditioning, automatic transmission and a CD player with the overhead motor in 1938?

Joe

Says it has a radio , but I see the radio hole blank plates/ plugs, no radio.

The rechromed front bumper looks a lot like the same wrapped bumper hung on the back.

I like the detailing with the red,'special' emblem on the hood panel.

I'd say he came close to correctly interpreting what he heard, as the car was described to him. Close, as in something like the guy who created the refreshing soft drink '6 up'.