Top 10 vintage passenger engines

24T42

What, no mention of the Porsche boxer 6's (of 911, etc. fame) of the last 40+ years??? Can any engine (other than the Chevy - or I guess you could say the "GM" - small block V-8, of course) match it's continued success in both racing as well as road performance over so long a period??? (I guess the Offy could match the racing pedigree but not the road one, right???) And, correct me if I'm wrong, (and I'm sure y'all will!!!...LOL), but wasn't the smallest displacement stock production Chevy small block V-8 the 265 CID in the '55-'56 Chevrolets (including the Corvette)?

Guest De Soto Frank

Not to disparage Porsche's accomplishments, but if you look at the Model T engine with "1908" eyes, it was a pretty advanced design for its time, with pretty good power/displacememt/weight ratios for that time period...

Of course it was pretty long in the tooth when finally retired 19 years later...

Also, a 19 year production run with no change in displacement or other major changes is pretty significant...the biggest (only?) changes were the elmination of the water pump around 1909-1910, change to "low-compression" head around 1914, and the enclosing of the valve gear, also around 1914...I might be a little fuzzy on those dates.

Twice I've tried to reply to Franks note and TWICE the site has eaten the almost completed (and quite detailed) responses..so I'm fed up...but the gist of what I had to say was...the T is great - I agree, but the topic was TOP 10 engines so there's plenty of room for the T, 911 ( or 901 as it was 1st known... bonus points 4 any of you forumers who know the reason the model # was changed from 901 to 911...) & 8 others. What you said 'bout the T in 1908 terms is quite true, it was PRETTY GOOD - though I might argue with the "pretty advanced design" statement, but if you look at the 901/911 with 1964 eyes, I think, as Tony the Tiger would say...."THEY'RE GREAT" with GREAT power/displacement/weight ratios that very little else that was available in '64 could touch or even come close to and a quite advanced design. And unlike the T, the 911 continued/s to evolve over the next 40+ years (despite probably 5% of the production #s over almost a 10 year longer lifespan - so far - than Henry's venerable T) (after all, weren't T engines manufactured by Ford for a total of 34 years up to 1941 - although with admitedly quite low production #'s after 1927?) In comparison there were MANY, MANY vehicles (probably more than 50%, actually!) available in 1908 with equal or better power than the Ford T (remember these are STOCK T's we're talking about, not "California" or any of the other "modified" versions so popular today) including Thomas, Lozier, Palmer Singer, Simplex, Locomobile, Alco (OK, American Berliet), Darracq, Mercedes, Benz, Panhard, FIAT, Itala, Stevens-Duryea, Pope Hartford, Stanley & White steamers, Packard, Peerless, Pierce, Winton, Rolls, Stoddard Dayton, Arrow (Mercer predecessor), the big Buicks, big Cadillacs and, yes Steve, even the big Olds' plus a hundred more I've left out. And is a virtually "frozen in time" product as or more signifigant than a continually evolving & improving one??? And would ANYONE consider the current generation 911 "pretty long in the tooth" 43 model years after it's initial introduction? BTW, how many other car models have stayed basically the same (still a rear engined boxer 6, still recognizable as a similar looking body style to the original 901/911, etc.) from it's introduction for over 40 years? Certainly not the Corvette, nor the T-Bird. Perhaps the Morgan? Or the little Citroen 2CV (poss.incorrect model #)? Can anybody think of any others? And in summation, the 2 men responsible for (or at least given credit 4 the design of) the two most popular models of automobiles ever were the "builders", or at least the founders and guiding lights of the company's (both of which were named after themselves) that produced these 2 engines...Henry for the "2nd place" (in sales figures) T and Dr. Porsche for the all time sales leader, the VW "Bug"! (though his son is probably just as if not more responsible 4 the 911 as the good Dr.). Ok school's out boys (& girls!). Let's see your homework (see above challenges/questions) tomorrow!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Herb,

I 've had a few legnthy posts disappear too ! blush.gif </div></div>

If I am going to be typing a lengthy reply, I use "Notepad" to compose it and then cut/paste the text into the forum. If it dissapears, you still have the Notepad version as a backup.

Hi Herb

I think Porsche changed their model designation from 901 to 911 as a result of threats from either Renault or Puegeot, who claimed copyrights on three digit model designators with a "0" as the center number.

Guest De Soto Frank

I'll add the following nominee:

Chrysler Corp. big-blocks: B and RB motors: 350 cid thru 440 cid - 1957 - 198?

This family includes: 350, 361, 383 "B" motors and 383, 413, 426 and 440 "RB" motors.

Thanks guys...misery loves company after all...I know how to copy & paste, at least, but just didn't do it and all of a sudden, I don't know if it was me clicking on something I wasn't supposed to (probably), but "WHAM", everything was gone. For us guys (AND GALS!!!) who love old stuff, these new fangled komputin' machines is all mystery, smoke 'n mirrors (and one way mirrors at that).

Thanks guys...misery loves company after all...I know how to copy & paste, at least, but just didn't do it and all of a sudden, I don't know if it was me clicking on something I wasn't supposed to (probably), but "WHAM", everything was gone. For us guys (AND GALS!!!) who love old stuff, these new fangled komputin' machines is all mystery, smoke 'n mirrors (and one way mirrors at that).

I have to vote for the Duesenberg Model J Inline-8

Next would have been the Merlin Packard engine in the WW2 Plains and PTT boats,

followed by the overcan Packard 12 front wheel drive that was never put into production.