service engine light

hello,<BR>i own a 1990 reatta convertable 18,000 miles. i noticed on several occasions recently driving at speeds of between 60 mph and 65 mph that the service engine light on the dashboard begins to slowly appear. i slow down and the light disapears. i had the oil changed recently at a buick dealer and asked him to check out the car to find out if there are problems. he said car runs fine and no problems noticed. what gives with the light? any clues as to what the problem may or may not be?<BR>molar<P>thanks for the info. i found the following codes . can anyone tell me what they mean?<BR>EO13h<BR>EO48h<BR>6119h<BR>6482h<BR>6552h<BR>025h<BR>034h<BR>ec2<BR>do any of these codes relate to "check engine soon" lighting up on my cash? <p>[This message has been edited by molar (edited 11-24-2000).]

Guest Stan Leslie

If your observation is correct ("the service engine light on the dashboard begins to slowly appear"), the problem would seem to be a bulb problem (actually a ground problem). The Service Engine light should never come on slowly. If commanded by the PCM, it should either be on bright or off, not somewhere in between. If it comes on due to a PCM command, there should be a code stored as mentioned by Bob Rich.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Rich:<BR><B><BR> Read out the codes and see which ones are in the history file. Any time this light comes on, at least one code is stored.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

I just checked one of my Reatta's codes, and if I'm reading it correctly ( which is questionable ), it has either a code E or a code EC2. I don't have a service manual yet, so could someone please tell me what that code might mean?? Thanks!<P>Mike Book BCA # 9202<BR> Reatta Club # 407<p>[This message has been edited by Mike Book (edited 11-22-2000).]

<BR> Press the "Warmer" and "Off" buttons on the AC panel at the same time with the igniton key in Run.(engine off). Hold them until the entire dash display lights up, then release them. After going through the segment check routine, the odometer window will start displaying failure codes, if any are stored. History codes will have a funny h in front of them. The meaning of the codes are in the Service Manual, or you can post them on this site and someone will decode them for you.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by molar:<BR><B>hello,<BR>i own a 1990 reatta convertable 18,000 miles. i noticed on several occasions recently driving at speeds of between 60 mph and 65 mph that the service engine light on the dashboard begins to slowly appear. i slow down and the light disapears. i had the oil changed recently at a buick dealer and asked him to check out the car to find out if there are problems. he said car runs fine and no problems noticed. what gives with the light? any clues as to what the problem may or may not be?<BR>molar<P>thanks for the info. i found the following codes . can anyone tell me what they mean?<BR>EO13h<BR>EO48h<BR>6119h<BR>6482h<BR>6552h<BR>025h<BR>034h<BR>ec2<BR>do any of these codes relate to "check engine soon" lighting up on my cash? <P>[This message has been edited by molar (edited 11-24-2000).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR> E013h O2 Sensor Failure<BR> E048h Fuel Trim Out of Range (Probably related to the bum O2 sensor.)<BR> The codes you listed with a 6 are probably really B.<BR> B119h Twilight Sensor Failure<BR> B482h The Dreaded Antilock Pressure Problem<BR> B552h BCM Memory. This is usually due to the battery being disconnected or running down.<P> Most codes should have a B or E prefix. Please check the last 3 again. The O2 sensor code will light the "Check Engine" indicator. <P>