K & N air filters

steve90

I'm considering installation of K&N air filters in my 1990 Reatta and 2001 Cherokee. Besides a nominal increase in horsepower, what effect will this filter have on my gas mileage. Thanks!<p>[This message has been edited by steve90 (edited 11-19-2000).]

I assume you mean you intend to install the K&N FilterChargers(approx.$50). You probably won't notice a difference in performance or gas milage. Others may disagree, but I had installed them in both a 94 Explorer, and 94 Z28 I had a few years back and didn't notice a difference in either car.<P>That doesn't mean I am downing them. Because of their design, I do believe they trap substantually more dirt, and they are maintenance free for 50,000 miles unless you live in a unusually dry climate. <P>I'm sure there is a nominal gain in milage and performance like you stated in your post, but it will not be noticeable by watching the fuel guage. It will however, save you enough $$$ in fuel milage over ten thousand miles to pay for itself.....so .....why not......right??<BR> Good luck ...Crash(my new nickname....given to me by my wife)<BR><P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://www.jersey.net/~tdc/Reatta1.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.jersey.net/~tdc/Reatta1.jpg</A>

I've had my K&N filter for about 8 months and my gas mileage has increased from 23.2 mpg to 23.7 mpg. That's with the climate control on automatic. If when the weather is not to hot and I leave my a/c off, them it increases to 24.0 mpg. In my opion.... well worth the money.<P>------------------<BR>

Just wondering what the K & N air filter is. Is it just another filer with different composite or design? Are any changes required to accomodate it? Thanks for enlightening me. Sounds like it won't change mileage but if it adds better filtering I'm interested.<P>------------------<BR> My Topless Reatta <BR>

The K&N "FilterCharger"(I believe that is what it is named) is a sponge type filter that you apply oil to before installing, same as dirt bike filters. The sticky oils is what grabs the dirt,and less air flow disturbance as well(the air entering flows throgh the sponge opposed to hitting a paper wall like in a traditional paper filter). <P>They claim 10 extra ponies, as well as improved gas milage, but in my opinion the better filtering is the best reason to replace it, and, it's the last air filter you will have to buy.........Dan

Sorry , forgot to answer the second question: no modifications needed, it comes pre-oiled from the factory, and only needs to be removed, cleaned, re-oiled every 50k except in dry dusty climates.....Dan

I concur with the lack of noticeable increase in performance. I have tested this myself and there is no consistant increase in performance. The stock air box has a certain amount of restriction built into it, but this only really affects the full throttle performance, and is a lot quieter.It does keep the like new performance longer. I cannot seem to find my K&N catalog so I can't help with the part number right now but the counterperson should have a catalog available to get you the correct one. Don't expect to find the correct one on the shelf unless it is a high demand item, you will probably have to order it. Installation of a cone style filter WILL increase the available air flow, but this is not a drop in installation and is very noisy.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

Changed to a K&N air filter and I noticed almost 2 extra mpg. It's important to note, these do come pre-oiled but when it's time to clean it, do NOT use regular oil ,but instead you need the special K&N "oil" and cleaner. 10-30w will not work. I found these readily available as they are a common size (for once!). Takes about 5 mins. to install and well worth it, although didn't notice horsepower gain.

Guest wally888

I hope "Gearhead" is following this thread.<BR> Reading w/ interest the claims of improved<BR>performance and or gas mileage.<BR> Polishing and porting worked for me a LONG time ago, air filter??<BR> What about sticking a crowbar into the catalytic converter and wiggling it around a little?<P>[This message has been edited by wally888 (edited 11-26-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by wally888 (edited 11-26-2000).]

• 3 weeks later...

posted 11-24-2000 04:30 PM <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>Does anyone know the part # for this K&N filter. I see them in auto parts stores, but I never see a list of part numbers to fit the various applications.<BR>Hi, the K&N air filter that fits into the existing Air Filter Housing the part # is : <BR>NR33-2022 as per the box.<p>[This message has been edited by prakash raja (edited 12-17-2000).]