Headlights

FWJ

I want more light from my headlights for touring. Are there 6volt driving lights (maybe halogen?) that I could use temporarily; or is it possible to change headlights to halogen?

Thanks- FWJ in Calilfornia

I recently bought the conversion kit offered by J C Whitney. They are also available on ebay. JC Whitney also sell H4 bulbs in 6 volt for motorcycles. I think they are 65 watt on high beam, and 55 watt on low beam. They work real well but draw a lot of current.

John-Thanks for the info. What type of car do you have with these lights? I have a 38 60 Special and have a little trouble with proper alignment of the headlights and so perhaps add-ons for touring might let me have better light distribution.

Frank J in California

I drive a 1941 Packard 160. These lights are a direct replacement for the 7" sealed

beam. They are adjusted with the adjustment screws which are already there for the

original headlights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have ordered and used these halogen bulbs and they are brighter. The only caution I have is that they are more sensitive to voltage fluctuations. In an old 6v electrical system that is unregulated (i.e. third brush voltage regulation) they will pop with voltage spikes over 10.5v (as opposed to about 11.6v for tungsten). I blew out two headlamps and one taillamp until I cranked down the third brush to around 8 volts max.

• 5 months later...