1974 Bugles - 1929 Edition

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

Fellow forum member Ewing gave me a long box of Bugles starting in the 70s...I forget how many years there are, but quite a few. He wound up with them as they were sent by a fellow with some parts Ewing had purchased. A while back I reached into the box near the beginning and found 3 magazines - May, June, and July - listed as 3 parts of the 1929 edition. I got pretty excited seeing this only a few months after purchasing a '29 myself. The third one is missing a few pages, but I'm having a blast going over them. I've scanned in the AEA tune up chart so that I can have a copy handy that I can muck up.

While I had the scanner going, I scanned in a few pieces that had been taken from sales literature of the day. It was also interesting to see at least one name that I recognize on the forums here.

Anyway, here are a few of the scans.

2951sales150.jpg

This is the same model as mine and is pretty much outfitted the same with the artillery wheels, trunk, and sidemounts. The detail isn't there, but the hub caps would be different as mine is a McLaughlin. Also, the trunk in the photo is different than the one I have (not that I know how original mine is).

convertible_coupe.jpg

Model 54CC convertible coupe.

phaeton.jpg

Model 55 phaeton. I'm really liking the way this looks. After I win the lottery, I may need to think about getting me one of these.

Anyway, that is all I scanned for now. The smaller series are in the first part, which I haven't scanned anything from.

If anyone wants to see a particular model, let me know and I can scan it in.

Hey, Derek. Its a win win situation.

Glad to see you found some good stuff in those old Bugles. They really are full of good info.

And on my end, I have another shelf that I've been able to fill with parts off the 58 Caballero.

• 4 months later...
Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Derek: Did you ever find the pages you said you're missing? If not, let me know exact issue and page(s)and I'll dig my copy of that Bugle out and copy it for you. Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks Dave...I'll have to dig them out again...I'm pretty sure it was the 3rd in the series, but I'll check and get back to you. You are full of great information!

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Derek:

I suppose you wouldn't be too surprised to learn that my collection of information is the result of 30 years of collecting info and does include a complete collection of the Bugle back to Vol 1, no 1. In addition, more than 100 pieces of literature relating to my 1939 Roadmaster and 50 pieces relating to my 1938 Self shifter. I have the odd hobby of computerizing everything that's Buick and numeric so I can learn about Buick's ways of doing things. Previous researchers such as Dave Chambers, George Dammann, and most especially Terry Dunham, have made copies of all manner of things to include. In addition, Buick people with specialized areas of expertise (Kevin Johnson on 1904's and 1905's) have been kind enough to share their work. Pat Riley, a fellow BCA member, shared Buick's own engineering record chart of cars built by model by year.

All of this information has been compiled, link edited for completeness and added to by other people's info. The fact that I also have collected parts books covering 1905 thru 1963 models adds to the information. Besides being a 35 year BCA member, I'm also a member of The Society of Automotive Historians, so I suppose it's ingrained somewhere genetically.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest imported_Thriller

Found them...what a mess my life is...honest, I used to be organized.

Anyway, my July 1974 issue starts at page 5 and 20 is the last page - it seems like two pieces of paper (saddle stitched) between the cover and page 5 are missing.

Dave, if you have them digitized, it might be easier to send them via e-mail to derek.thille@ieee.org.

Thanks.