1988 REATTA

Hello,<BR>I really enjoy your website. I am considering purchasing a 1988 Buick Reatta with leather and suede seating from a dealership. The car has 81,000 miles and looks pretty good except for center alloy wheel caps that have weathered poorly, a rear upper tail lamp lens that has done the same, and a loose A pillar trim molding which has come loose. The dealership has offered a 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty with the car that supposably covers all of the electronics...Should I purchase the car as a daily driver, how reliable will it be, and what mechanical difficulties should I expect, if any? Please advise as I plan to purchase with one week.<BR>Thanks for your time!<BR>John B.

Guest wally888

Buy the extended warrenty but read ALL the small print! Many differences in contracts ie., has to be repaired by certain dealers,etc., sometimes all is not covered!<BR> Price, if a lot of records indicate a lot has been repaired,a lot of problems are in the past!<BR> You can expect to:replace headliner,a/c actuator door(s), sensors of 1 kind or another, have brake problems.......<BR> Pull up diagnostics and record history and current problems!<BR> I bought a caddy from dealer a<BR>short time ago, the price was pretty much established but, after that I managed to negotiate, free, new tires, plugs and wires and several other items!

I have looked at this same car after hours in the dark at a Subaru dealer. The asking price is $7995 which is very high for a 88 with 81,000 miles. <P>I have not followed thru looking at it in the daylight or trying it out because it does not have a sunroof and would basically be a driver. It might have a few problems if the intention is to make it a show car.

Small world we live in huh???<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 90 & 91 Owner:<BR><B>I have looked at this same car after hours in the dark at a Subaru dealer. The asking price is $7995 which is very high for a 88 with 81,000 miles. <P>I have not followed thru looking at it in the daylight or trying it out because it does not have a sunroof and would basically be a driver. It might have a few problems if the intention is to make it a show car.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Let me just tell you that an '88 Reatta has a lot of electronics as with the rest of the years. Be careful with dealerships. I have gotten screwed more than one time. The car sounds nice, and I use my '88 Reatta on a daily basis except for in the winter. If your deal falls through, let me know, because I am selling my Reatta. It is an '88 black w/ tan leather interior. Brand new paint job, and all the work that it has ever needed has been done. I love the car, and I'm sure you will too.<P>Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.<P>nmz18@hotmail.com -- my name is Nina

We have a 1988 Reatta Black with Gray leather. It is all original with about 39,000 miles. It has been parked every winter and is in great shape except for acid rain marks on the paint.<BR>My wife keeps saying we should sell it since we have a 2 year old. Let me know if you are interested. It would be a great day to day car and is a real head turner!<BR>mccleary@microconnect.net<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dperras:<BR><B>Is this a certified Buick dealer? Wow...I don't know what that dealer is getting himself into; if you don't know Reattas, these cars are beautiful yet cantankerous. Page through this site and read some of the posts...I'd LOVE to be able to buy a 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty! <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>