Motor Meters

D Binger

Does anyone know of a source of repro. boyce motor meters. The only co. I can find was in an old Hemmings about 1970 called Sheldon Greenland in Calif. Are they still in operation or is there another source? Thanks Doug V. dvogel@cc.usu.edu

Doug - The correct name is MotoMeter. If you go to Hershey or any other large parts meet there are ususally several vendors specializing in rebuilt units and/or reproductions. Most of the Model A vendors handle repro units scaled for the Model A and I believe that T vendors also sell these.<BR>

The MotoMeter shows you with a thermometer in it the temperatur of the water in the radiator. This is not only to check the temparatur for overheating. If you have a car with radiator shutter you can see there the point when you should open the shutter like at a 1918 Hudson at 130°F but you should have good eyes to see it from the drivers seat. In the main thing it is to control the temperatur of the water as I said.<P>Tom

Thomas is right, a properly functioning MotoMeter is an essential component of these older cars - it is the water temperature gauge. If it is correct for the car the information displayed on the back indicates warnings and actions you should take depending on the temperature shown. If you use an older car a lot during the summer, like I do, for tours, parades and events, you need a good working MotoMeter.

Thanks for the information. I learn something about these old cars all the time.<BR>In the summer down here in Texas, I could see where they could be useful. smile.gif<BR>I am asuming though that they were replaced by the Temp gauge in the dash.<BR>Bill

How would you test a motometer to see if it is properly functioning? How do you know it is reading the right temperature?

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

You could put the end in boiling water and see if it reads 212 (at sea level, anyway).