How NOT to sell a car at Hershey

critterpainter

I was walking the caryard at Hershey on Wed evening and happened to be walking by a beutiful Cord L-29 parked under a tent and offered for sale by a well-known dealer. As I was walking by a person came up and got into the car to move it indoors for the night. The car did NOT want to start and it took several attempts spanning at least 10 minutes before the car started.

The driver then aggressevly drove the car out of the parking lot and onto the streets toward wherever they were being stored.

What upset me is the fact that the driver was very careful during this task not to spill his BEER!!shocked:

I don't mind having an "adult" beverage at the end of a day, But I would NEVER consider driving a car while drinking let alone having a beer while being in a semi-crowded area and driving a car the quality of the Cord L-29. If this was a consigned car and if I was the owner of the car........That car would be yanked away from that dealer sooooo fast.

Bill

Sounds like a mention should be made to this well known dealer.. if it is known what dealer it is.. and/or Hershey Region about an incident that endangered spectators by reckless driving while drinking alcoholic beverage within the car corral.

I would think the meet rules have something against drinking while speeding through the meet area. In the swap meet area, I've seen investigations and loss of sites for infractions to rules that didn't pose as much as a danger to the public as drinking and reckless driving.

Maybe nothing would come out of it.. but maybe the threat of a ban of the dealer would prevent it happening again in the future.

The AACA doesnt need the reputation.. and possible litigation of a death... caused by some idiot behind the wheel of a car.

The driver did NOT speed in the car corral, however rather than drive the car in an "elegant" manner he was aggressive in his take off and in tailgating the car ahead of him, like one in a sports car might do. I do NOT appreciate emplyees of commertial enterprises puttng their company at risk by their personal habits. I wish i could remember the name of the business frown.gif But the car I do remember.. As I stated it was a Cord l-29 in a cream color and was either a 4 door phaeton with the top up or a sedan with a hartzcloth top. I would love to have it in my garage.

And NO the driver was not drinking a soft drink. This was confirmed by another spectator.

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The AACA doesnt need the reputation.. and possible litigation of a death... caused by some idiot behind the wheel of a car. </div></div>

There was a man about 20-25 years ago that was hit in the area of the maintaince building and stadium. He was hurt bad enough his friends that came for the showers a couple after he left there, didn't even reckon him as they helped at the scene. He spent a good number of weeks in the hospital there before being taken back to a central NY state hospital. He was fortune that he did survive although has gone through a lot of suffering over the years. That accident was caused by some Hershey teenagers out joyridding in an area they should have never been in to being with. It's bad enough when it is is an outsider, much when it is "one of our own", invovled in the hobby, that were to cause an accident. Those invovled should know better than to drink and drive and to drive sanely.

Guest imported_CarFreak

Flashback to October 4-7, 2001; due a schedule issue we were not going to be able to attend Fall Hershey so we decided to visit Carlisle. We had only been there once previously about 14 years prior.

Of course, it is a totally different atmosphere - pay when you enter and the people are a lot different. Well I was standing there with a ton of stuff that we did find to buy and my friends were talking to a vendor. Now I was standing kind of to the side of the "roadway" which is supposed to be closed to motor vehicles. A car is driving through the swap looking at stuff and he tells me (not asks) me to move. I speak out that he should drive around as not only am I standing there with my items, but my friends' items also. It would take me quite a bit of effort to get the items moved. So what does the car driver do? He runs into me! On purpose and pushes me aside.

I was so shocked that I didn't get his license plate. I literally got pushed off the road by this jerk and knocked our stuff to the side. Being not litigious I just blew it off that this guy was an "a number one" idiot. Actually I was the idiot for not reporting him to security. It wasn't that busy at the time so really not many people saw it happen. I wasn't hurt just totally shocked.

When I got home the next week I called and spoke to John Dietrich who identified himself as Director. He apologized and promised that I ever returned I could get free admission but it's funny, I have never had a reason to want to return. Would you? I guess that it isn't Carlisle's fault but they should have been monitoring people driving in the swap if their rules say it can't be done. Anyhow - live and learn.