Chipped paint on steering column

Dusty

Howdy, I have a burgandy '88 and when I bought it 3 years ago, it had the vinyl paint all chipped off near the ignition. It looks as though the former owner had a lot of keys on his key ring and they scratched a spot about 2" around. It is down to bare metal. Does anyone know where to get matching paint? Apparently, GM doesn't carry stock paint for this.<BR>The rest of the interior is flawless and I want to restore her to her former beauty!!

You have two possible solutions, depending on your location and mechanical ability. <P>1. Check with the local paint supplier that provides paint to auto body shops. They sshould have a paint book with both interior and exterior auto paints with their mixing codes, broken down by make and year. They can mix the right color in quantities as small as a half pint. Some shops can even mix the paint and put it in an aerosol can for you. If you don't want to do it yourself or don't live in a city with a large paint supply company, try the next suggestion. <P>2. Contact a good used car lot in your area, and ask him for a good touch-up guy. These are usually small, independent operators that have all their spray and repair equipment in a van or truck and go from one dealership to another. Their work is usually so good, the retail customer doesn't know there was a scratch repaired on their car. They should be able to match and repaint your steering column in about an hour. The cost should run from $25-55. <P>Good luck.<P>Joe