Mercer Club

Junkman

The Mercer register keeper has been Stan Smith of Oak Hall, PA. I don't have his exact address or number at this location. What kind of Mercer are you trying to register? Stude8

• 7 months later...

1923 Mercer should be Series 6 with an OHV 6cylinder Rochester-Trego engine. If this is so, the transmission is Brown-Lipe 3 speed, identical except for the input shaft to that used in Model 80 Pierce Arrow. This was because Mercer used a multi-plate clutch, and Pierce a single plate. For some reason there seems to have been a material/heat treatment problem in the Mercer 6 boxes. That in the high mileage Pierce I had showed no such problem.

If your car is a six, on no account run the engine without making new connecting rods. There are two problems. You can avoid breaking the original 3/8" bolts by fitting 7/16". This has to be a machine and fixture job because you have to move the bolt centrelines apart. The worse problem is having the rod break just below the piston pin, and you may not have much left holding the engine together except the head and the crankshaft.

If your car is a four cylinder, probably built to special order from parts, the transmission is 4speed Mercer, which are very durable. 25 years ago I knew two people with spares who could have helped. Today I would not know.