Sign in to follow this  
eric_b_1937

1937 Buick special coupe Engine rebuild questions

I own a 1937 Buick special coupe and I am doing an engine rebuild. The car had been sitting in storage for approximately 20 years before I purchased it and got it running. There is a lot of blow by smoke from the vent pipe and I could not fix the problem with oil treatments. So I am pulling the engine to fix the rings, clean out the water passages, and fix what ever else I find.

What is the approximate weight of the engine? I need an engine stand that will hold it. Will a 1200 lb two leg stand be sufficient? I am worried about the moment arm of this long heavy engine. Do I need a front support on the stand?

I have the Grill/radiator off and the engine stripped down. Next I need to pull the engine. Do I use the head bolts to mount my engine lift? What's the best method of mounting chains? Then do I pull the four engine mounts and four transmission bolts, lift forward and up?

Does anyone know If ford engine green paint is the same as 37 buick engine green? I purchased some POR-15 Buick green engine paint but I think it is too light of a color.

Here's info from when I pulled the engine from my '41 Century:

http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/051003.htm

By the way, your engine weighs somewhere north of 700 pounds. I'd recommend buying the strongest one you can find. I used a 2000-pound model designed for semi-truck diesel engines. I think I paid about $100 for it. It's more than up to the challenge of the Buick motor and makes a big difference when moving it around.

Hope this helps.

For darn sure, you don't want to trust the engine to a Harbor Freight or similar engine stand. The engine from my 1940 Special weighed nearly 800 pounds with some of the accessories removed. I rebuilt mine laying on its side on a sturdy wooden bench and only had to turn it a couple of times, mostly for access to the main and rod bearings. If you do feel the need to use an engine stand, take Matt's advice and get one intended for a diesel, the Buick straight eight is heavier than some diesels.

My 53 straight eight engine with all the accessories (including std trans)on it weighed 1,096 pounds. My problem was not the lifting capacity oof the hoist but height it would go. I thought the front of the car would never stop going up.

Thank your website was very helpful and I read the whole thing. Did you finish the car yet?

Does anyone know If ford engine green paint is the same as 37 buick engine green? I purchased some POR-15 Buick green engine paint but I think it is too light of a color.

Motor mount problem with engine removal. The engine has never been removed from this Buick and over time the rear bottom motor mount to engine bolts have settled and I cannot fit a socket on the bolt. I may be able to grind out a small radius on the bottom edge of the mount and fit the socket on. But I need the motor mounts to be in good condition for restoration or exchange. Is it possible to pull the four motor mount to frame bolts and remove the engine with the mounts attached to it? It looks like a tight fit to me and I may have more interference problems with the mounts hitting the steering column or jamming in the tapered frame.

If your going to pull the engine you will need to pull the front clip off the car to get to the bolts for the rear mounts. Not hard, it takes about 4 guys to lift it off. I did mine last winter.

Dear Eric:

You're getting some good advice here from the guys. BE CAREFUL! USE HEAVY TOOLS! And when you're doing it, just remember this: the 320 big series engine is another 200 LBS+! When I was ready to put the engine & transmission assembly in my 39 Roadmaster, it was 59 1/2 inches long and weighed almost 1300 pounds. The reverse is also true, you won't believe how much those front springs will sink!

Regards, Dave Corbin