Your best deal at Hershey??

ex98thdrill

Now to get off of the weather situation, for those of you who braved the elements, what was the best deal that you got?

For us we thought we got great deals on four things:

1. Set of '40 Plymouth headlight doors for $10.

2. Six car dollies brand new in the box for $95.

3. Set of Flathead Ford cylinder heads and intake manifold for our fire truck for $10.

4. Two brand new universal joints that will fit our Plymouth truck and our woodie wagon for $20.

I bought some things that caught my eye but nothing I really can say was a great deal even though I was very pleased with what I found. Karen though, collects Michelin stuff and she found a very nice yellow metal box that neither of us had ever seen before. It was in the blue field, the fellows that come over each year from France had it. She got that and a few other small Michelin trinkets then she fell in love with a bronze casting of the Fisk Tire Boy holding the Tire in the White Field (the fellow that does all the nice castings for the hood ornaments) so we got that too. I knew it was getting difficult to find things she still needed in her Michelin collection. The Fisk stuff will probably be a nice new area for her. I found a small Fisk Tire Repair kit in the Red Field I bought and tossed in the bag while she wasnt looking. All in all it was a fine Hershey. smirk.gif

Well my wife is anyway. Though, I like the various items too. She started out some years ago just looking for Michelin and now it seems she has added Fisk as well. We have a few other misc tire company things displayed in our garage but not collected with any particular purpose. smirk.gif

ex98thdrill

Here is a bit of info on Fisk Tire Company that I found.

Noyes W. Fisk purchased a company in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1898. The firm he bought had produced bicycle tires and other rubber items. He continued the business under his own name, and branched out with-his first automobile tire in 1899. By 1916 the Fisk plant at Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts was making some 5,000 tires a day. The tire business, along with numerous other enterprises, fell upon hard times during the depression. Nevertheless, Fisk introduced its new Safti Flight tire in 1930, and it proved to be an impressive success. In 1940 Fisk was acquired by the U.S. Rubber Co. (now Uniroyal, Inc.), which continued to make and market passenger car tires under the respected Fisk name.

The Fisk Rubber Corporation's trademark of a little boy and the slogan "Time to Re-tire" was created by 18 year old Burr E. Giffen in 1907. A copyright was assigned to the image on June 1, 1910 and in 1914 it was advertised for the first time in The Saturday Evening Post. The Fisk boy has had a metamorphosis through the years. In 1928 his yawn was changed to a smile. By 1930, his one-piece sleeper was redesigned as a two-piece pajama set and he was portrayed with a new Fisk Air-Flight tire over his shoulder.

I saw it and thought you might be interested.

Guest my3buicks

My son brought home 3 boxes of Hersheys famous chocolate chip cookies - I always find that to be a GREAT find at Hershey : ) I usually buy 3 dozen and freeze 2, let's see, I have bought around 80 dozen cookies at Hershey, hhmm no wonder middle age spread is setting in.

Guest 1959olds

Dave, when I pulled my Grandfathers 40' Olds from storage (since 1983) it had two PURE Oil Company tires on it. I turned one of them into a painted up whitewall spare for the trunk, but have the other one laying around. I had thought about moubting a clock in the center of it but it will probably never happen. It has the large letters PURE on it, blackwall, and the tread is about all gone. If interested I will give it to you for your collection if you want it?

Steve Howard

Steve, thanks very much for the nice offer. We have never collected the actual tires and space purposes would probably prevent us from doing so. I must admit though I have never seen a Pure Oil Co. tire. Thanks again though, that was really nice of you. smirk.gif

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

$10 for a Model T water pump, I did not need it, but if the I have on the car goes, I have one. My cousin said, "buy it, for $10 buck you can,t get out of McDonald's"

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Adobe PageMill 2.0 Mac">

<TITLE>Untitled Document</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff" LINK="#000000">

I usually buy to resell... but ALWAYS make a point to find one thing as

a keeper. Due to rain I didn't get to see much nor get that one wonderful

thing. Packing up Saturday a nearby vendor throws out this 30 inch tall

gas can (had some rust on bottom big deal) and there it sat next to the

trash. One day it will decorate my old gasoline station I'm working to restore.

gascan.jpg\\" ALIGN=\\"BOTTOM

</BODY>

</HTML>

I had been looking for a reasonable-size, old & funky-looking auxiliary stop lamp to mount onto the back of my old & funky-looking 1950 VW Bug (which, as someone like nearchocolatetown can attest, has about the most miniscule and ineffective stop light going). I looked at a number of those big round red "STOP" lamps, apparently used on old school busses or something, but couldn't get beyond the idea of mounting something that huge onto the back bumper of the relatively little VW Bug.

Walking around in the rain on Friday, we saw a glass display case, which most of the time we don't pay too much attention to, since the items inside are usually the "high dollar goodies," with this funky little oval-shaped lamp, with a bluish-green glass lens, with "STOP" cast into the inside surface.

Upon getting it home and fooling with it a little, I found the 6v bulb inside even worked. Will have a little fun attempting to improve the effectiveness of the lamp a little (Easetwood reflective paint for the inside of the housing, etc.), and then figure out a good way to mount it on the Bug, and wire it into the stop light circuit.

Anyway, we asked with some trepidation the price of this "glass case goodie," and were surprised and pleased to hear "Ten bucks!"

Steve, sorry I missed you and Diana this year. I always look forward to seeing at one of you! grin.gif Your light wouldn't be legal in Pa., not being red, but maybe the color differance will make them pay attention. I passed on a NOS set of Rossi looking headlights that looked like late 50's or early 60's from the package. They were stamped Hella, never saw another set that early. I did buy a really neat Fatman steering wheel for the Dodge Brothers, not that I need it. It has a lock and pin system that disengages the wheel for security, too.

Sorry I missed you as well, Doug!

I know, a green stop light ain't exactly kosher, but it's just an add-on--not a replacement for the original--so I'm hoping it's ok to have. The oddball color might actually help it get noticed a bit. And I don't drive the car too much either (and/or not at all right now, as I have some kind of ignition problem to deal with...).

We did see Jim, though, and a few other old VW friends. Here (attachment) is Diane posing wtih Joe Alackness and Gordi Davis (before the Big Rains came).

Great little lamp Steve-Ive collected those things for years. Started back when they were only a few bucks each new in the orig boxes. I mounted two dozen of them in a big case hanging on the wall and wired them up with christmas tree bulbs - neat. I'll try to post a pic later.

My Hershey finds were varied - got some needed MGB parts for my current restoration project, picked up some NOS in the box Model T accessory items to display in my replica auto parts store, managed a couple of good spark plugs for the collection, and hit solid gold for the brass lamp collection. Bought a matched pair of choice lamps in fantastic condition. Nice big square combo oil/electric lamps from a pretty elegant early car. Three square tiers on top with fancy stamped patterns all around, nice big beveled glass, complete with brackets. Got them cheap on Friday! I added some literature by ducking into tents and awnings during the rain. I collect aftermarket parts and accessory catalogs and small brochures advertising auto products and accessories from the early teens and prior. All-in-all, another great Hershey despite the wet sunshine. See ya next time!

Terry