dealership trying to SCREW me?!

today i took my 91' reatta to a local dealership to have the gas gauge fixed(it doesnt work, only reads full all of the time) and their price to fix this seemingly simple problem was a wopping 600.00!!! so i took my car away from them as fast as i could! the problem with the tank is the sending unit inside the tank is bad/a.k.a. the float. they said that the float costs 422.00, and then they want to charge me 120.00 in labor. i dont have a problem with the labor fee because i know that this is a hard job to do. but 422.00 for a little part?! are they taking me to the bank or is this a fair price?<P>next problem, the same dealership also wants to charge me 197.00 to fix my power antenna. the problem with that is that it doesnt go down! the motor for it is currently unplugged because if i plug it in,it just runs constanly. this is no good!<P>so if you have any knowledge about prices, or just an oppinion, i welcome it with open arms! thanks in advance!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troy:<BR><B>today i took my 91' reatta to a local dealership to have the gas gauge fixed(it doesnt work, only reads full all of the time) and their price to fix this seemingly simple problem was a wopping 600.00!!! so i took my car away from them as fast as i could! the problem with the tank is the sending unit inside the tank is bad/a.k.a. the float. they said that the float costs 422.00, and then they want to charge me 120.00 in labor. i dont have a problem with the labor fee because i know that this is a hard job to do. but 422.00 for a little part?! are they taking me to the bank or is this a fair price?<P>next problem, the same dealership also wants to charge me 197.00 to fix my power antenna. the problem with that is that it doesnt go down! the motor for it is currently unplugged because if i plug it in,it just runs constanly. this is no good!<P>so if you have any knowledge about prices, or just an oppinion, i welcome it with open arms! thanks in advance!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Troy<BR>I have a good sending unit I'll sell you.<BR> The problem with your antenna is,the cable inside the mast is broken.If you check back in the post,that has been covered before.<BR>Tony

The answer to your power ant., as stated above is the cable inside it. The cable can be bought seperatly from a dealer. the Chevy Caprice of the same year has the same ant. So go to your local chevy dealer and ask for the cable for a Caprice. I paid only $18 for it and installed it myself. I had never done it before nad it took me less than two hours. A pro could do it in less than an hour. Do the math, an $18 part and one hour of labor SHOULD NOT add up to almost $200.

The dealers' prices are right on. The dealer will not disassemble an antenna and replace the cable. They will replace the whole antenna. The list is $150; With labor to R & R, $200 is fair. The fuel sender used to be over $200 in my 1993 parts manual. With the large price increases over 7 years and the pain it is to R & R the fuel tank, $600 seems right.<P>It doesen't matter if you own a ten year old Reatta or a five year old Honda. Service is expensive.

Troy, Sounds more like the dealer you bought it from did the screwing, my 91 coupe is maybe worth 10k, and everything works and all the pieces are there, and original. I feel for you in that too many nitnoy things are broken or missing from what should other wise be an outstanding car so close to the production end. Lots of Luck, in finding some of those pieces. Hank..

I got a taste of the gas gage/pump price on a Bonneville. After a little research, some cars have units that each part can be replaced (the pump, fuel level indicator, and filter) Some only come with all as one replacement part and the price is steep. The labor is all the same. <BR>Find a good mechanic and let him do everything he can at a much lower cost. Finding the good mechanic is the hardest part.<P><P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.