Removing 3 M weatherstrip adhesive from paint.

I installed new weatherstripping on my freshly painted Packard today and I allowed some of the black goo to get onto the paint which is month old base/ clear. I am a bit hesitant to put any solvent on the paint to remove the adhesive for fear of marring the paint. I know 3M has an adhesive remover but is it safe for new paint? Also any other solvents or methods such as a heat gun etc. which would be safe? Any and all advice appreciated but please only first hand experiences!

I would use a product called Goo Gone. It is citrus based & has an oily feel to it. You can let it soak for a few minutes (in the shade). I use it all the time & it has never caused a problem for me.

This is from their web site. http://www.magicamerican.com/products_gg.shtml

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT GOO GONE

Can I use Goo Gone to remove tar, stickers, grease off my car?

Goo Gone is safe on your car exterior, using instructions for hard surfaces. It's safe on your upholstery and carpeting, using the instructions for carpeting. It's safe on the vinyl and glass, but may remove the tint from the tinted side of windows.

For all those gooey, sticky, gummy, greasy cleaning problems. Removes chewing gum, grease, tar stickers, labels, tape residue, oil, blood, lipstick and mascara, shoe polish, crayon, bumper stickers. Works on carpets, upholstery, clothing, wood, and cement.

Most drug stores sell Goo Gone.

Good Luck

Neil

If the over-application is not too bad or too visable, I'd leave it as it is. The factories typically applied weatherstrip cement 1/8" to 1/4" beyond the edge of the weatherstrip when the cars were assembled so you would be authentic. On light-colored cars they used a yellow cement. On cars made around 1960, you get the impression that they used a paint roller to coat the entire edge of the door. Probably not but they sure were not real tidy about it.

• 17 years later...

Time to reopen this old thread.  

I am trying to take off the old and probably original trunk weatherstripping on my 1950 Buick.  It is disformed and still pliable in some places, but time to go.  The first thing I did in a small area was to peel off as much as I could. Then I used some short pieces of pvc pipe and wooden dowels of various diameters to scrape with.  The dowels seemed to work the best.  I am working in the valleys and round curves where the lid meets the body.  You cant use a flat plastic scraper. 

Some guys use WD40 but that didn’t seem to do much.  Working in the curves, it also seems to run down the channel with gravity, so it is hard to soak the area. Then I got some 3M gasket adhesive remover.  That worked somewhat per the instructions.  It says to leave it on about 15 min, and if that doesn’t work, try it again for 20-30 min.  In leaving it on 30 min, it worked fairly well, but the paint started coming off with it.  Fortunately as i said, I am working in the well or channel where the trunk weather strip will go, starting in a small area.

Then I read this thread about Goo Gone. I tried it in the same area and that worked the best, but there is still residue that just moves around on your clean rag, again per the instructions.  Do i need to keep doing it or is there something better.  I thought there is some nylon wheel or something better that body shops use without destroying the surface, but I can’t find out.

How much residue is okay to leave before glueing down the new weather stripping?  I really don't want any residue, but at this point it just seems to be moving around, and not completely coming up.

Any newer ideas out there?

Thanks aa million if so.

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)

There is the eraser wheel. It worked good on pinstripes (tape) and side molding adhesive on flat surfaces. Not sure it would work in valleys, at all. 3M and others make them. 

• Like 1

Dunno if this will work in every situation but FWIW...

I've used mineral spirits to remove road tar and 3M adhesive foam tape.  It's never harmed paint but I always test first.   Soak the stuff to be removed and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then wipe it off with a rag dipped in the mineral spirits - that may smear the stuff but just keep wiping with a clean spot on the rag until it all comes off.  It may take more than one application and it does work better if the surface is warm.

3 hours ago, viv w said:

paraffin

Let me translate for Americans. Kerosene. :D

And  I agree that is a good choice to try, along with Pre-Cleaner form auto paint suppliers.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1