Remote Installation

My 1988 came without the remote door opener option. What would I need to do to gain this capability ?<P>------------------<BR>Long live the internal combustion engine!

Easy way to add keyless remote option to a 1988 Reatta is to trade it for a later model. The keyless remote receiver is located aft of the driver's seat under the left trim panel where the seat belt harness retractor is located. The wiring harness may not have the included wiring for the remote. The rear window may not have the remote receiver antenna installed. So you may end up having to replace the rear window, change the wiring harness (requires dismantling the whole vehicle) and adding the receiver. Then again, if the rear window has the antenna bonded into the glass and the wiring has a plug dangling, it may be possible to add the remote receiver. Recommendation: Buy an extra key. Information gathered from completely dismantling a 1989 Reatta.

Guest Brad Gales

You can have an aftermarket keyless entry system installed at most radio shops for under $200. A couple of years ago, I installed the keyless entry system from J.C. Whitney ($29) in my 88. It will lock/unlock the doors and the trunk. It's still working fine as of today.

Both of the preceeding are excellent advice. If you want to keep the car "original" investigate the first. If this is not of a concern, absolutely go for the second. One very nice feature of the newer after market devices is that they often include a remote stater also! Very nice on those cold winter mornings.