'53 Buick Super seeks steamy street rod yarns

I guess no one has done this before, it is not worth doing or people are simply to embarrassed to tell about how things went wrong. I will not be able to learn from past mistakes. I will just have to make my own mistakes as I plod along in the dark.......................Maybe I am just posting to the wrong board and I need to look somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back. I am taking out the V8, trans, torque tube, rear end and front drum brakes. For now they will be lawn ornaments...........I am going to use what ever big block core I can find at the wrecking yard to rebuild and put in. UNLESS.... Does anyone know if 425 or 455 blocks fit the front mounts or will I have to build my own? Also, has anyone rebuilt a 264 or 322 with a tall cam, bigger bore, longer rods, etc. or are they not worth messing with to get more power, more power?

On my '55 Chevy I was going to throw away the 235 and put in a 350 but one of the old timers (meant with respect) talked me into to some nostalga hot rod parts that made the old inline 6 get rubber in three gears and I am happy the the thing is antique HOTROD. I've heard bad stories about the Dynaflow, however.

All opinions are welcome.

Fred,

To use a 401/425/430/455 you will have to do some work on the mounts. All have been done and you do have enough room. The larger problem is the bellhousing bolt pattern and torque tube although enough $$ will solve all of them.

Regarding the Dynaflow - pretty sluggish in '53 but you can certainly keep up with traffic and the unit is reliable enough to be driven. Not at all hard to switch out for a unit from a '55 which has better performance.

322 can be upgraded to deliver additional horses with a rebuild by increasing compression a bit and a bit of cam. Won't be a tire burner but will be unique and will get you about in style.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Thank you for the Buick info. I am going to try to find a 455 with an automatic trans at the wrecking yard. I have a 12 bolt Chevy rear end out behind the barn and will try to get one of those 4 bar/panhard rear end kits. I don't have anything to do this winter..........