New accumulator fixed my brakes!

Reatta Man

A new accumulator (about $75 + shipping on the internet, $151 from your local Buick parts department) fixed my intermittent ABS and brake light and s spongy brake pedal on my '90 coupe! <P>For those of you not familiar with it, the accumulator is that black round cylinder just to the right of the white plastifc brake fluid reservoir. I highly recommend this to anyone with the original accumulator in place, along with a complete brake fluid flush ($20 at the local Brake Check repair shop).<P>I posted the part number and the web site in an earlier post. The installation took 15 minutes and cured the problem as soon as the system repressurized. <P>What a difference good brakes make when doing 75++ MPH on Texas freeways!<P>Joe

That's great news, Joe. Watch those FM roads in TX (the ones with 65 MPH speed limits and tractors that pull out in front of you in the "valleys" just past that hill you're approaching. Really crummy sight distances there. Need good brakes!).<P>It is also "nice" in a way that you had some sort of warning of the deterioration in your braking system. I never felt any sponginess, and, of course, my sensors were burned out and so the dash lights never came on. I sure wish I'd known about Wally's test back then, I might've learned early on that my sensors didn't work.<P>But whatever, that's a great bargain for your repair and I think it should give people some hope that if they find a problem it need not necessarily become a horror story.<P>Did you do the accumulator swapout yourself?<BR>