Engine Mounts

Guest Rollingt

Guest Rollingt

My trans was, or so I thought, was making a clunking sound when going into reverse. Other than the noise it shifts okay. The trans shop says it the motor mounts that are causing the clunk sound and should be replaced at about $250.00 a piece plus labor. Then, the trans should be gone through for a complete rebuild for 1,295.00. Is this outfit way out of line or what? Motor mounts for $250.00 each? Could use some help on this. Car is a 1990 Reatta.

Thanks

Suspect comeone needs a boat payment.

Maybe their way of saying two for $125 ea and one for $500 or sommat. The one under the a/c compressor can be a real bear to change (may have to move the compressor aside) and I believe one is near-unobtainable OEM though aftermarket mounts may exist.

As for the trans, a GM remanufactured (not rebuilt) trans 24212204 is $1300 + S&H (lots) from GMPartsDirect.com . To me the difference between a local rebuilder and a GM reman is a no-braner. (Does the $1295 include R&R ?)

I do have good used mounts and the one in the front does go bad. I have very reasonable prices. The one in the front isn't very hard to change and should only take about a half hour. The compressor does not have to be moved. I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

I agree with Padgett, the prices quoted are way too high and you probably do not need you transmission rebuilt.