Pulling Brakes

Help!! My '89 Reatta is having some pulling problems. When I brake there is a definate pull to the left. The mechanic at the shop could find no "visable" signs of trouble but also felt the pull. He suggested there may be a problem with the valve block or master cylinder and that if they could find parts and that truly was the problem, it would cost close to $3,500 to repair. I have 143,000 miles, but otherwise everything else is ok--for now. Has anyone experienced similar problems? Any advice? Thanks!!

Numerous things could cause the problem. Since you had a "competent" mechanic (if there is such a thing) look at the car, try disabling the ABS and see if that affects the pull. This can be done by pulling the fuse, or maybe the easiest, is the pull the connector at the ABS valve block. This removes all signals to the ABS solenoid valves. <BR>As for cost... Dick Hussey at 561-844-3938 is selling complete rebuilt master cylinder units for $750. I talked to him and this includes the pressure switch, accumulator, pump/motor, and ABS valve block. When the mechanic/dealer starts talking big $$$ think about this solution. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.