1963 underhood paint color

starfire63

Guys and gals, I need some help. I'm detailing under the hood. I need to know whether the undersurface of the hood is supposed to be body color or black. Can somebody with an original car please let me know ASAP? Mine was repainted black, underneath is clearly body color, but I don't know if that body color was a repaint at some point. The support bars have been stripped down, those look to have been black painted at the factory. It's the rest of the underhood I need to know about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

ALL IS FROM CLASSICOLDSMOBILE.COM -Restoration Paint/Colors

Paints / Colors

Paint Matching

The easiest way to find correct color for your aircleaner or any other misc parts, is to use the SIKKENS colormap, which has tens of thousands colors grouped by shades, not by auto manufacturer. This colormap is used worldwide, so if anyone needs, for example, the correct color code for a 1965 Starfire 425 aircleaner (red-orange), I can check it from my car here in Finland (Scandinavia, Europe!), and you can buy the same color from local Sikkens car paint dealer in India or USA or wherever you live, and it matches exactly.

Underhood

The fire wall is 30% gloss black. The core support is gloss black. Hood hinges should be 30% gloss black.

Rustoleum Satin Black for a semi-gloss on under hood sheet metal. It looks good, and a lot like the original stuff.

The Satin Clear does an excellent job on your hood hinges after they have been sandblasted (not bead blasted). Four or five coats right after blasting and they look just like the factory finish and very durable.

Suspension, Brakes

Drag link - manganese phosphate/color coded. Tie rod ends are the same. Tie rod end adjusting sleeves - semi gloss black. Idler arm is the M-P /C-C. Pitman arm is cast iron gray C-C. Spindles are cast iron gray C-C. Brake backing plates are 30% gloss black. Most I have seen have been natural.

Frame

The frame is chasis black.