Sign in to follow this  

1927 man takes over as BCA President

I've known Paul Meyer for over 15 years since my old Gateway chapter days, and glad to see a pre-war guy at the helm.

To my surprise I got the September Bugle, since I did not pay my dues for 2006, being BCA is a Modified club now, but there was Paul's picture on the President's message.

In reading it, it looks like Paul is surprised to be president.

So, it gives me a glimmer of hope that the BCA will return to it's roots. I'll have to consult with Keith, of course.

I have not been in his barn for a few years, I don't think Mini is a modified.

Guest my3buicks

Does that mean your going to be still hanging around then? smirk.gif

A "custom bodied" vehicle is not "modified"? That could mean that all of those Cadillac station wagons and pickups (even flower cars) from the 1970s and prior are "stock"? 4 door convertible "parade cars" too (other than Lincolns)?

Just a thought! Enjoy!

NTX5467

Although I agree with NTX, Mimi is a FACTORY modified car. I wonder if that means it has to be judged in the modified class grin.gif Paul might not like hearing that tongue.gif

I own a straight stock 1982 Riviera convertible. Is mine a modified car? GM built it for Buick (with a hardtop) in New Jersey and then shipped it to ASC in Lansing. ASC chopped off the roof, built a unique back seat, windshield header and convertible top (adapted later for '84 & '85 Eldorados) and then shiped the cars to Buick dealers. Buick sold them for 1982 to 1985 model years. Is my car a legitimate Buick or is it a modified car? What about the H/E (modified at Cincinnati) brand new Toronado or Ciera convertibles that were, unlike the Rivieras and Eldorados found in then current Buick and Cadillac catalogs, not advertised or supported by Oldsmobile?

Get over it and complain about gas prices or something like that. I like customized Buicks.

Ranchero,

If you really want to know (although I can hardly believe that you don't), a car is considered authentic by nearly every antique car organization when it is in or is restored to the condition in which it was recieved by the dealer. Whether it was cataloged, advertised, signed by Lee Iococca, or blessed by the Vatican doesn't matter.

What happens to the car beyond receipt by the dealer may or may not be a wise use of the vehicle. <span style="font-style: italic">That</span> is and always will be a legitimate discussion point, whether from extreme or tempered points of view.

Now get over it and complain about gas stock dividends, or something like that. I hope no one cares what kind of cars I like, it isn't germain to the discussion.

I suspect the "key" might be IF the particular vehicle ("finished" by ASC, McLaren, SLP, or whoever) was ordered by the dealer with GM option codes just as if it was a "regular production assembly line" vehicle. AND if the VIN reflects what the finished vehicle is--providing, of course, that the VIN would reflect those things for the particular model year of vehicle. Things of this nature are much easier to track than in the earlier times of the GNX, typically.

Now, this would not be the same thing as a dealer getting some extra work done to the vehicle after it's delivered to the dealership and before the customer finalizes the paperwork and takes possession of the vehicle. Like the aftermarket add-on fabric-covered roof caps that simiulated a carriage top or a padded top, or Vogue Tyres in the place of normal production tires. Even pin stripes!

In the case of the GNX, all of the part numbers for the special parts for those cars were ONLY listed in a Buick service bulletin. That meant that if a person came in and wanted a GNX-specific part for a GNX and you didn't know about the service bulletin, then you'd order a normal GN-spec part as that was all that was listed in the GM parts database (then or now!), which would not be correct for the GNX vehicle.

Similar things existed, to a lesser extent, with the last Camaro SS "conversion" by SLP . . . as in the special KONI shocks being in the GM parts database in particular.

Just as in other vehicle authentication situations, "paperwork" and documentation can be significant issues on earlier vehicles.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Keith,

I have not talk to Paul yet, of my plan to rule the BCA as a father/son team.

Paul has owned just about every Buick. He had a 1956 Roadmaster with 14k original, and had to sell it because he did not want to put the miles on it.

Beat of Keith good, Beat on Paul Bad... still not sure if I want to fight this crusade any longer.

I was at a HHC meet today, and they turned away the one hot rod that show up........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Of course, all the members were 70 years old, and it very hard to pick up chicks under 50! Their ok, as long as they have their 5pm nap, and home by 6:30pm.

Guest my3buicks

You can beat on Keith all you want, I can take it and will actually enjoy a good challenge, just remember I may beat back, can you take it? wink.gif

I also havn't seen anyone beating on Paul, Paul is a great guy and an asset to the BCA - more so than others that call themselves his friend/son?.

There seems to be a few erroneous comments made by 1927, whoever he is. I wish he would contact me on the landline, I would love to talk to him in person. My phone number is 314-574-9853 cell. Thanks, Paul Meyer BCA President.

Hey Paul,

It's the late great Peter Scavone, from the Mark Bunce era!

I thought you bought Mark's '27, or was it a '26.

I've had your card on my desk for about two months, but have not gotten around to email you. I was looking at your email address in the Bugle technical section last night.

I think we last spoke in Flint, or was it Hershey.

No it was Hershey, I started the 1942 Buick group linked below... waiting for you to sell me that '42.

Never the less, I've been fighting a battle against the MD group being counter-preservation.

I was at a HHC show this past sunday, and met two '27 owners who are not in the BCA.

Seams to be the trend, with pre-war cars.

I like pulling Keith chain on the MD issue.