Accelerator-activated starter

RShepherd

I frequently read in old car publications that pre-1961 Buicks are started by pushing the accelerator to the floor. If I remember correctly, it was not necessary to push it that far, maybe about 1/3, to get the starter to engage. It seems to me that starting a cold Buick with full throttle would not be good for it. Also, in order to preset the automatic choke, did Buick recommend depressing and releasing the accelerator before turning on the ignition and depressing the accelerator to start the car?

As soon as the car starts, the vacuum from the pistons suck a little ball up in the carb and cut the electrical circuit. WE then engine stops, the ball falls back to reconnect the circuit.

to start a cold car, you have to pump it with the key off.

And the starter relay gets its ground through the generator windings which stops functioning as a ground as soon as its producing current, so that & the vacuum balls in the carb are the two failsafes to keep from engaging the starter on a running motor or leaving it engaged too long.

Yes, applying throttle just as the motor lights off is not a great thing. Once you own one for a while you learn how to finesse the pedal to keep from over reving it cold, things not great for bearings or exhaust manifolds. Yet a good portion of the nailheads were built with these and the engines have a sterling reputation for reliability & longevity.

Dan

Funny story. When I first got my 59 Invicta, I sat in the drivers seat for over 5 minutes trying to figure out where the starter was! I kept turning the key on and off and wondering what I was doing wrong!

Finally, I figured well, I'll give her some gas and Whallah!

It took another week to figure out that I didn't even need the key.....anyone got an ignition lock and key for a 59 buick lying around?

This thing looks great with a giant truck sized "club" on it!

Guest invicta592

About 1/3rd of the way on mine will start the motor. Pressing the accelerator to the floor unloads the choke (with the ignition turned off, of course) grin.gif

Guest invicta592

Being an "automatic" choke, in the case of engine flooding, pressing the pedal to the floor will "unload" the choke, open the intake valves, and allow normal air flow back into the carb. I think it just opens the intake valves, but still uses the fast idle. I'll double check on that later.