1936, 1937 Production numbers

Bigmountain

Guest DodgeKCL

First of all you'll have to determine if it's a '36 (Model LC) or a '37 (Model MC). And a 'canopy' and an 'express' (pickup) are listed as 2 different vehicles not as one. In either case I have found Dodge commercial vehicles out of the 30s to be really rare today. I think because of their reliability they were driven to death and scrapped. You would be best to make sure that it is a good 80 to 90% there or you will have a good long search for parts. Apparently none are being parted out, it seems they are all being restored.

Guest DodgeKCL

I'm looking at the photos in the catalogue but I can't make out what year the truck is. Your photo is very small and the truck has had most of it's distinquising chrome removed. If you're lucky there should still be a plate on the firewall saying MODEL=MC or LC or whatever. It's black and silver and says DODGE TRUCKS, DETROIT MICH. It then says GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT- 4000 LBS. or something like that.

• 3 months later...

Got it! It's an MC (4000 lbs) serial number 8183861. As an MC, it must be a 1937, right? Also, can anyone tell me when during the production year it was built? One last thing, was any distinction made among the body styles in the serial numbers? I understand that the firewall tag is the body ID, and I don't have that yet. One thing I would like to know is how many of the canopy-style open pickups were produced that year. I assume that they're rare, but I wonder how rare.

Thanks, Bigmountain

The MC was produced from Nov 1936 -Sept 1937. The serial numbers went from 8156701-8186617. I do not have serial numbers by month. Your serial number of 8183861 had to be late in 1937; probably in August 1937