How Much to Rebuild A V-12

its a V-12

A local Cleveland restoration shop quoted me a price of $10,000 (Yep that's 10 big ones) to pull, rebuild and re-install my V-12 in a 48 LC. Not being mechanically astute but also not stupid this seems to me to be an outrageous amount. Has anybody had a recent complete rebuild and in what price range? What should a typical(if there is such thing) and fair price to pay for a engine rebuild.Keep in mind that many of the external parts generator,starter,carb,water pumps etc. are either new or rebuilt.Always appreciate your help. Thanks

I spent 4500 on having mine rebuilt with all new parts except water pumps dist, crank and rods which were reconditioned and that was with me pulling and reinstalling it myself, at the price for labor nowdays 10,000 to pull rebuild and install isnt to bad. Collector cars get expensive when you cant do most of the work yourself. My Grandfather was just quoted 3500 to remove repair and replace the vibration dampner on his 40 Packard. I saved him the money and am doing it for him. the grille and radiator cradle have to be removed to get the balancer off this car.

Good Luck on your project

Guest imported_V12Bill

I rebuilt a V 12 2 years ago and my cost was $4,500. This did not include my labor to assemble the engine, rebuild the bolt on parts,(carb,fuel pump, etc) or to pull and reinstall the engine. Unless you are dealing with someone who has experience rebuilding old engines you are also paying for their learning curve and trial and errors.

Bill

Why spend the money????? bob boos has one on ebay for $700. No link supplied I know someone who doesn't ebay names not given. The engine stand alone is pretty cool, I wonder if it would run up side down. ricko grin.gif ha ha ha

Guest imported_V12Bill

Rick, A V12 bare block is worth $500.00 if there are no cracks. Most engines that are up for sale have not been checked for cracks and are sold "as is" . Usually these engines have been sitting for 20 or 30 years and their condition is unknown. All of which leads back to the original problem of finding a rebuilder who knows V12 engines in your area.

Bill