Vernon CT show

dplotkin

Too bad that one was rained upon. I was so looking forward to having my 60 Electra there, now that I have straightened out the car and the factory air with all original parts except for the expansion valve is now blowing 40 degree air!!

I have three other cars, but I am so in love with my Buick that I cannot even explain it. A guy lucky enough to have bought one new must have experienced the best "new car" event of his life. With 44,000 miles on mine, I get a slight idea of ewhat it must have been like to drive one home from the dealer.

I love the 59 too, especially the fins & dash. But the side sculpture on the 60 is so much more interesting. Both cars are some of GM's best ever. Why someone would have bought a Caddy with that clunky hydramatic over a nailhead Dynaflow Buick is beyond me.

Dan

Dan, thanks for another great photo of the Buick. I'm pleased to know that the A/C is working once again.

I agree that the Buicks of this era are a pleasure to drive. I find myself wanting to drive my '59 as much as possible, and I've noticed that I have far greater confidence embarking on trips in my Buick than do my friends with other makes of similar vintage. Perhaps it's just me, but I've got to think that the quality, comfort, and roadability of the Buick inspire my confidence.

I agree completely, I just sold a 39600 mile Electra 225 4 dr hdtp that was amazing to drive! Now I'm driving a 46600 Invicta conv. that is soo sweet going down the road that I hardly ever drive my pick-up! I also had the pleasure of my Granfather's '59 Lesabre 4 dr hdtp when it was only a few yrs old and we felt like we we're on a dream ride in a 747! Very nice '60 you have! Hans

Dan,

Too bad you did not make it. We had 80 plus cars there that did brave the rain. Many of them cAME some long distances, and we did applaud their effort. We hope to see you next year, or perhapos you can make it to Easthampton (Cernak Buick) on Saturday September 17th. If you need info on the show, let me know.

John

Actually I did make it down, but I didn't take her. It was pouring. I was too embarrased to introduce myself. I want to go to that Cernack show, how many cars expected?

Thanks to the other guys for your enthusiasm. I've got a Galaxie & an Impala, both restored cars that just are not in the same league. Now I know why the average guy 45 years ago aspired to own a Buick or Cad, the cheaper cars drove like cheaper cars, I could write a few pages in an analysis of the differences.

On the freeway, the car feels like its standing still at 60 MPH. If you don't pay attention, you are hurtling along at 80. Unlike the powerglide or Ford MX CruisO, the Dynaflow gives the nailhead long legs, the car is content to cruise at 75 comfortably all day. I have yet to try that with the A/C on, but I bet wouldn't make any difference except at the gas pump.

The 59 & 60 Buicks may be the finest Buicks ever built. I cannot say that any Buick that followed them was any better. For the most part, they got progressivly worse, turning into tarted up Impalas with enormous plastic dashboards and loosing their unique and smooth driveline, the Dynaflow & the torque-tube. These were world-class cars. Who made a better one? BMW? Not yet. Mercedes? They made very well constructed & engineered cars, but none with the room, ride, or power of a Buick.

I do have to laugh at the styling over function, the exceedingly poor access to the rear seats, sunken floor wells & shallow trunk with narrow opening vs the over-all size of the car. But then consider that these cars have 4 tons of cooling in the factory A/C system, sufficient to cool 2 good sized homes. The frame could serve as a roof truss in a commercial building.

Sorry for the dribble. But these are fabulous automobiles.

Dan

Dan

Thanks for your comments. I guess you recall meeting me at MMC. Yes, I too was surprised to see that many cars, but there was no rain in eastern MA and RI and little in southern CT. Just one of those quirks. I am glad you are enjoying your Buick, and trust you are joining the BCA. For more details on the CNE Chapter show at Cernak it is probably best to e mail him at bkarnutt37@aol.com

John

Guest imported_Thriller

Dan,

This is neat stuff to hear, especially from someone who has the competition. I'd love to read your thoughts about the differences in the cars.