Transmission Problems

Guest Dolores

Guest Dolores

My car is in the shop getting the transmission repaired. My mechanic recently sold his business so I had to get someone out of the phone book. I gave them the 3rd degree asking about their qualifications and warranty. My question is what is the average cost of a transmission repair. I was quoted $895 for the soft parts, $289 for a tork converter, $25 for modulator, and $83 for some "hard" parts. Not sure what all that means. They told me a band broke in the transmission. Can't they just replace the band? It's looks like it will cost me about $1300. Is that reasonable?

Removing and installing a transaxle in a front wheel drive vehicle is very labor intensive. Therefore, once the transmission is out it only makes sense to replace all the soft parts like clutch packs and bands, seals and gaskets as well as the hard parts likely to have failed. A rebuilt torque converter is also installed . <P>A cost of $1300 for the Reatta 4 speed transaxle with a lock up torque converter is very reasonable. Be sure to get a warranty.

Hmmm ... where to start ...<BR>A few months ago a good chunk of my Reatta with 176K on it quit working while I was in Phoenix. Now, I'm in NH & having the car repaired. As the car sits, it definately needs an engine ($600 used [w/1 year warranty] + ~$900 labor), 1/2 the computer system (probably - won't know until the engine is in) and quite possibly a transmission. Thru my research & numerous blown engines & transmissions over the years, it is frequently cheaper to replace rather than repair. This hold true on the Reatta transmission, from the looks of it. IF, and I say 'IF' I have to replace the transmission as well, it will cost me $500 (for used w/a 1 year warranty) plus labor, which is only a few hours (under $300 @ $60/hour). Total transmission REPLACEMENT charges: ~$800 ... vs. how much for rebuilt????<P>Just a little something to think about ...<P>~Brenda<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html</A>

The price quoted you is reasonable in my opinion. I agree with all that Russ wrote. It would be foolish to pay for the labor to pull the tranny w/o rebuilding it. If you were to push them to only replace the parts needed at this time, imagine how you would feel if something else were to fail in the near future. I doubt they will give you a warranty unless you let them rebuild it, whereas they are confident they are sending you out with a solid transmission....good luck....Dan

Speaking from the pocketbook and not as a technical advisor, Brenda may have a good point in getting a used transmission. <BR>How many miles on the car? Are you going to keep it another 3,4, 5 years? Are there other things that are broken and need replaced to put it in super shape? After you answer all those questions, it may make the decision easier. <P>Another reason you totally rebuild when one thing breaks/or wears out... metal,plastic, and other particles often get in the fluid when something goes. The filter won't catch it because the broken part is in the flow after the filter. So if you open it up and only replace the damaged part. Some of the broken parts could still be in the fluid lines. <P>Around here, a complete rebuild is around $1100, probably higher on east and west coast because of cost of living. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

Guest Dolores

Thanks for your comments. It will alleviate some of the pain when I write the check today for the repair cost. Brenda, how do you know the "New" used tranny is in good shape? At least with the rebuilt you know the parts have been changed. I guess we are always taking a chance but at least there is a one year warranty. Thanks again for your input. Can't wait to drive my baby again. The rental is a 2001 Intrepid and its just not the same!

Hmm .. good question: 'how do I know the used tranny is good?". Technically, I don't. However, the yard I get major parts from buys cars that are auctioned as wrecks, not as run-down cars no one wants. The fact that they're going to put a 1 year warranty, as opposed to 30 days or 90 days (as is more standard) says quite a bit. The yard wa also recommended by a local Buick dealership that has done lots of business with them. <P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html</A>