More info on GN, T-type and Riviera

Does anyone have more information on the Grand National, Regal T-Type, and the mid to late 80's Riviera?<P>I've tried to get more information on the GN and T-Type's and have hit a dead end everytime. <P>I thought that these were two odd vehicles for Buick. Question is, why did they make them and why did they stop?<P>Were there alot of problems with these cars? I've yet to see a GN priced for less than $20,000! Which to me is staggering.<P>Also, I'd like to learn more about Riv's (Which I feel our cars are heavily derrived from) In order to learn more about the quirks in my car.<P>From what I've been able to gather, the Riviera of the 80's was not a very popular car with critics. And all of them hated the CRT.<P>Any info you could give I would appreciate.

The information you are seeking could fill a small book. Here is my opinion, lets hear from others.... <BR>In the '70's and '80's, Buick management attempted to get a piece of the "performance" market and keep ageing Buick owners that wanted the same. Ask anyone with a GS from that time and they were fast. You could get Rivieras with 2x4 carburation. Since the 3800 V6 was a Buick engine, they played with it and added a turbo. That too was fast. When the trend was headed toward FWD the options were limited (probably by the transmission) and only the Riviera was built with the FWD/turbo combination. You could get the T-type option on any Buick in the '84-'87 period, but it was mostly a handling/cosmetic package. <BR>I would love to find a '89 LeSabre T-type with low mileage.... what a car. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

The Grand National was built from 1984 to 1987. There were 215 Grand Natioanls built in 1982 but they were gray and had a 4.1 V6 producing 125 hp. In 1984 the GN returned but this time shared the Ttype powertrain which was a 3.8 SFI turocharged engine. Horespower was reated by Buick at Around 200 but it was mway more than that. Then in 1986 Buick added and intercooler and horespower jumped to 235 then to 245 in 1987.Ttypes and Grand National arnt that hard to find, but one in great condition with low miles is, and people will pay top dollar for one. 1987 was the last year because all the were are Regals and the Regal was being redisgned to a smaller front wheel drive platform in 1988. The older Regals were rear wheel drive and the new platform and transmission couldnt handle all the torque from the turbo engine with front drive. These are my favorite cars tied with the Reatta if you have anymore questions please email me Iam sure I can answer them Iam at TtypeZeek@aol.com

Check Out <A HREF="http://www.gnttype.org" TARGET=_blank>http://www.gnttype.org</A> for lots of info on GN/T-types and links to even more info.<P>------------------<BR>Roberta<BR>BCA TREASURER 2000-2001<BR>BCA PRESIDENT 1998-2000<BR>BCA VICE PRESIDENT 1997-1998<BR>WEBMASTER<BR>1956 Special 2 door Sedan<BR>1966 Wildcats<BR>1968 GS-400 Convertible 4-speed<BR>1970 GSX Stage 1<BR>1970 Skylark Racecar - 11.26, 118 MPH, 7/22/00<BR>1986 GN, 4800 miles