1990 Reatta headlight switch

Our 1990 Reatta just started developing headlight switch problems. Upon pressing the switch, one of three things happen: the headlights extend and work normal, they just begin to extend and then retract immediately, or they extend fully...go on...and then retract immediately. After two or three trys they work just fine. Is it just a switch problem or is there more to it??

The headlight problem is NOT in the switch, but rather in the headlight motor gear box. The electric motor moves the headlight door by using a gear moving a housing containing three plastic-like balls. After 10+ years, the balls literally disintegrate. If you took the assembly out of the car and dissassembled the housing, there would be a white plastic powder in each one. <P>FORTUNATELY, you are not alone! If you have any mechanical ability, there is a fix listed at <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net" TARGET=_blank>www.reatta.net</A> <P>Look at the text on the upper left side of the page, and push the 'headlight' link. It will take you to the section with detailed instructions on how to fix this problem. <P>The really good part is that if you fix it yourself, it is cheap, relatively easy and will take only a few hours. If you take it to the delaer, he will NOT fix the old ones, but rather will order and install two new motor assemblies at a cost of $200+ each, if the motor assemblies are still available. The only way I would pay that is if the motor itself is burnt out, but if your headlights are moving at all, the motors are still good. <P>Good luck!

Thanks for giving me a place to start. I've got all the tools and space a man could want so the fix should be no problem. Thanks again and this site is a world of help and some really friendly folks to boot!!