Help! Oil pressure gauge

Ours did the same thing a few years ago...wild fluctuations before it started showing 5 psi, zero, 5 psi...etc..The oil sending unit is mounted on the top/front of teh engine. I think I had to remove the serpentine belt to get it out, but it was a simple 5-minute job with a socket wrench and the problem went away once I had the new one in.

Ditto to that. Mine is an 89 with the digital gauge. It was fluctuating between about 40 and 127psi. That gave me a clue since the 127 reading is gauge saturation. Since I was replacing my damper anyway (that is another story) I replaced the sending unit at the same time. All is now well. Reads about 45 to 50 most of the time. I'm not real sure about the reading since I can't spring the car away from my wife long enough to get any miles on it.<P>What a wonderful car!! Sure wish Buick would support these little jewels. As these cars get older, they are going to be a problem to keep on the road.

I recently went on a trip; while driving my oil gauge started flucuating wildly between a reading of one mark over middle to eventually pegging out on high. I was traveling on cruise @73mph. At the end of the trip approx. 300miles the gauge moved back to one mark over half.When ideling the gauge read one mark under half, its usual reading. Any suggestion? The temp. was in the middle, didn't move. I checked the oil level,normal, and the car wasn't doing anything unusual. If anyone thinks it's the sending unit, how do I replace it? I have a '91 with 75K miles.

Probably a faulty sending unit. First try unplugging and replugging the connection on the engine. It is located on the end of the engine with the belt. Above the oil filter.<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.