Pressure bleeding brakes

Tinker

• 7 years later...
Guest Kurt Franz
Ran across this Home Made Pressure Bleeder on the BMW forum (just surfin') and I thought it would be a useful tool to have around in case someone wanted to bleed their Reatta or any GM/Teves cars brakes once in a while. I think I'll go make one before the summer's over.

Happy bleeding.

Resurrecting an old one here... I made this exact same bleeder and it works great on my 82 westfalia. I am assuming that the same principles apply with regards to the reatta. Buy a spare master cylinder reservoir cap, drill a hole in it, tap and glue the fitting to attach the bleeder hose.

Then pump the brake pedal until hard, connect the power bleeder hose to the fitting in the spare cap, pump the bleeder to 15 psi, open the bleeder screws and watch fluid come out until clear and no bubbles.

When done doing both front brakes, make sure fluid is at the fill line in the master cylinder reservoir.

That is about it.

am I missing anything, at least conceptually?

thx if

I made something similar of two quart capacity. I bleed the rear brakes first using the first quart and gravity feed only, letting the brake pump do the work. I then pressurize the bleeder and bleed the front brakes as you described. It works well and avoids the dreaded sucking sound when the rear brake reservoir runs dry if you don't have a helper to keep adding fluid as it is pumped through.

Guest Kurt Franz
Building your own does give a sense of satisfaction in doing it yourself. However, if you don't have the time or ability to build your own the factory built power bleeder listed in The Reatta Store - Reatta Owners Journal might be the way to go. Look on the second page of the Tools & Test Equipment category.

If I order a new accumulator from you via Amazon do you know what the turn time is regarding delivery?

thx

If I order a new accumulator from you via Amazon do you know what the turn time is regarding delivery?

thx

I don't have any shipping information other than what is shown in the store which says:

"Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

Several have been ordered and shipped recently but I have no way of knowing if there was a delay in shipping. Maybe someone here who has ordered one recently will chime in with their experience. Thanks for visiting The Reatta Store.

As noted by many, on the 88-90 with Teves ABS, the rear brakes are very easy to bleed/flush. The fronts are done the standard way by pumping the pedal.

Pressure and vacumn bleeding equipment is the second or third tier of equipment that people buy for their shops. I have a vacumn hand pump and the only thing I don't like is the vacumn will pull air around the bleeder threads unless you take them out and put grease on the threads.

If I were to make a pressure system (per the BMW article) I would put a "T" on the master cylinder cap and install the pressure gage there. It just seems like a better place than on the pump end.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kurt Franz
Resurrecting an old one here... I made this exact same bleeder and it works great on my 82 westfalia. I am assuming that the same principles apply with regards to the reatta. Buy a spare master cylinder reservoir cap, drill a hole in it, tap and glue the fitting to attach the bleeder hose.

Then pump the brake pedal until hard, connect the power bleeder hose to the fitting in the spare cap, pump the bleeder to 15 psi, open the bleeder screws and watch fluid come out until clear and no bubbles.

When done doing both front brakes, make sure fluid is at the fill line in the master cylinder reservoir.

That is about it.

am I missing anything, at least conceptually?

thx if

just want to confirm my assumption i made previously....should the system be pressurized or not....

thx