complete sudden brake failure!!

<BR>Reatta just flipped out...it's an 89. The car shut down and the a/c went out so off to the dealer for $600/worth of repairs for a new alternater and battery. The a/c is still on the blink...speaking of blinking...all computer signs point to fake failures! Now the other day the brakes suddenly went hard as a rock and no warning light until now..anti-lock brake light finally came on today. Just had new brakes put on 3 months ago. Dealer suggests $1500/worth of repairs for the brakes alone...IS THIS POSSIBLE? I would get another opinion but no one will work on it except the only Buick dealer in town. I've noticed a lot of Reatta owners having a ton of problems with their brakes...what is up! I hate monopolies!!!<BR>Thanks guys,<BR>Damsel in distress

We are STILL trying to get GM, Teves, and NHTSA to take this problem seriously. PLEASE add your complaint to the NHTSA problem log via the web (www.nhtsa.com). The more complaints, the better for our case.<P>As for the hard pedal, there are numerous suggestions of what to look for in previous posts. It seems like new accumulator is the usual fix, but there are hints on how to diagnose in there as well. Keep looking here as some of the people can REALLY help you figure the problem out before you get skinned alive by the dealer. They're usual tactic is to replace the entire ABS and the computer, etc. That costs up to $3000 and appears to be completely unneccesary in most cases.<P>Make sure you point out that the brakes failed AND THEN the ABS light came on (days later???). That is NOT the way your dash warnings are supposed to work.<P><BR>

Guest wally888

An excellent , rebuilt alternator and a new battery should fall in the $200 price range, total!<BR> Hard pedal( all hydraulic pressure depleted) is a serious problem and the car should not be driven!<BR> I would expect the person repairing brakes to be very specific re. what is the problem, what is to be replaced and a written estimate.<P>Hope someone will comment on the possibility of the BCM causing most of your brake problems.<BR> You can take the tests on page 2 or 3 of this forum and maybe provide us w/ more specifics!<BR>

Thanks anyway Rick...lol<BR>I just wished I had the knowledge of some of you so that I could understand the mechanic when he starts saying words like accumulater! Is it possible my A/C went out due to a computer glitch? I just had it serviced before summer and all the belts are good. The computer even says the driver door is ajar when it's not! This is just a very complicated car. Thank God for my Camaro which is in excellent running condition!