front Spindle interchange

Part numbers indicate that the spindles were unique for Lincoln from '37-'38; '39-'40; '41; '42-'48. The ( Lincoln) axles however were the same from '37 to '41 and '42 to '48. Hydraulic brakes and tread changes (1941) may be the reason for some of these differences?

Lincoln front spindles may be unique, but the bearing surfaces are the same as Fords. About 35 years ago, I installed 1940 Ford hubs on my 1947 Continental. This gave me enough extra width to be able to use wider 1954 Lincoln front brake drums for better braking. I had to rework the backing plates to use the wider front shoes. The 1940 Ford hubs fit right on the Lincoln spindles, but I seem to remember some machine work to fit the 1954 Lincoln front drums on the hubs. An extra benefit(?) was a slightly wider tread width and the front wheels don't look so "lost" under the wide fenders. I drove this car about 100,000 miles before the 1957 Lincoln engine got too tired and the car has been "retired" for about 25 years.

Webshots Photo album at: http://community.webshots.com/album/33590926dAmhsj

Hydraulic brakes first appeared on Lincoln Zephyrs in 1939 and are the Bendix type instead of the Ford Lockheed type.