Anybody have Contact Information on this Museum Yard?

3 years ago a museum in Alberta Canada advertised in Hemmings Motor News under "Multi-Make Cars for sale" section. I sent for the list and was amazed at the number of Buicks they had for sale from 1910's to 1930's. I then asked for some photos, eventually got some and was depressed. I made the huge mistake of tossing the list, which included many rare cars from pre-1930 including some trucks.

I only remember that this museum was a "Transportation Museum" somewhere below Calgary I believe. I have tried Internet Google based searches without much luck. I would really like to make contact with these folks again to see if maybe I can purchase a 20's era Buick touring (more like 3 to make 1) and I was wondering if anyone has contact information for this museum or could assist.

Thanks

Bryan Moran

BCA 28571

Guest 1964 225 Roadster

Hiya, Bryan -

The museum / yard you are referring to is the "Reynolds-Alberta Museum," in Westaskiwin, Alberta. It is a small town (maybe 10,000?) well north of Calgary, almost to Edmonton. The Provincial government is involved in the ownership and operation of the facility.

Here is the contact info:

http://www.machinemuseum.net/main/contact_us.htm

They have zillions of early cars (and all other types of early machines, agricultural, trucks, steam, etc). Much of the inventory has been outdoors for decades, and is significantly deteriorated. No doubt, this is why you were depressed. It is also why the prices are so low!

Sometimes they sell things. Be sure and surf around the website. There is not a lot about the salvage yard (they refer to it as "Artifacts" on the website) but you can reach them by phone.

Hey everybody - thanks for the information. I will make contact and hopefully get the inventory list I had last time. No need for photos - a person just needs to go up there and check the inventory out and hopefully save a car by buying 3 to make 1. I am sure there are easier ways - I saw a decent start to a mid 20's Buick touring on ebay a few weeks back that was in Kansas.

The photos they sent back to me were quite revealing in terms of rows and rows of cars as far as the eye could see. I got the impression that everyone in that part of the country "donated" their car to the musuem! Probably, 85 to 90% of the Reynolds cars are never going anywhere so to save one would mean more then saving a car closer to home.

Thanks again.

Bryan Moran

BCA 28571

Letter sent out today using Canadian amount postage. Cross my fingers. I used an addressed envelope but no postage. Last time they sent my SASE back.

Does anyone know how far this is from the 2006 National in Rochester, Minn? It sounds like an interesting place and worth a trip, but hard to justify from CT unless one is "in the neighborhood" and out there the neighborhood is rather large.

John

Guest imported_Thriller

From Rochester, it is about 2.5 days' drive. If you go someplace like Mapblast and click on Directions, it will give you an idea...I just did and it gives it at a bit over 1300 miles and 22 hrs driving (although you may not want to take the Yellowhead from Portage la Prairie to Saskatoon - it is pretty country, but 2 lane, narrow in spots, and the semis ride your butt. I find it more comfortable to go through Regina, then it is almost all divided highway. If you do decide to make that "side trip", I could go along with you as far as Winnipeg (home), put you up, and show you my collection if you would like.

Derek,

It's a loooonnnngg way. Everything out west, especially in the plains area seems to go forever. I will post the entire list here when I get it. Should be 4-6 weeks. They move kind of slow. They have a lot of McLaughlin Buicks of course (or did have) Hopefully a few of their Buick have sold.

Bryan Moran

I am going to file this in my 2006 National file to consider what we do after the National. It is a bit long for a Driving Tour after the National, but it certainly is a good reason to see that part of Canada. It may have to wait until 2007 from WA State, as that seems closer. Thanks for the offer.

John

Guest imported_Thriller

It would be considerably less out of the way between CT and Seattle. If we do go to Seattle, perhaps we could visit our family on OR before the meet, then take the detour (at least part) with you as we have family in Edmonton as well...hmmm...begins to sound like a plan vaguely forming here.

I know it's quite a place. The photos I received back showed rows and rows of all cars and trucks. Plus goats wandering aimlessly around the mineral rich plant life. I could spend a day there.

Bryan