Brakes

My ABS Brake light came on the other day, so I took it in to see the problem. The guy said I need a new $800 part, I forget the name of it. (Brake module maybe?) Anyway, he said it's $800 to get that. The alternative is to not get that done, have the brake light stay on, and just not have ABS brakes. I would be able to brake fine, just not have the ABS. Do you think that would be a bad choice on my part? I REALLY don't want to shell out that much money right now. Thanks!

It may well be that it is, but if you think your mechanic is starting down the "let's replace this and see what happens" you may want to do a little diagnosing yourself first. I suggest you try the tests that Wally put up under <a href="http://www.aaca.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001392.html">Take the brake tests</a>.<P>A really common culprit in these ABS light problems is the pair of relays on the firewall which can be replaced for under $20! Another is the ABS Accumulator which goes for $175 or less.<P>Ask your mechanic if he's replacing the part because he knows that it's faulty or is he assuming that it's faulty(you may want to find a more diplomatic way of putting it). <P>------------------<BR><B>Jim Gough</B> <A HREF="http://www.esprinkles.com" TARGET=_blank>www.esprinkles.com</A> <A HREF="http://www.reatta.org" TARGET=_blank>www.reatta.org</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by wheresjim (edited 09-14-2000).]

Guest wally888

At the moment all we know for sure is that you have a yellow light on!<BR> If you can find a lonely stretch of road<BR>and are sober and 4x4<BR> at 30 mph slam the brakes on, simulate an energency stop (CAUTION- be prepared to get off the pedal). If you have no antilock you may skid or slide a tire but if anti lock is working you will feel a chatter back to you thru the pedal and will stop straight!<BR> If you email me I may offer some other suggestion but do not drive the car w/ the red light on, even if it only comes on for an instant and subsequently goes out!<P>------------------<BR> A recent report said,"Humans only use 20% of their brain." Think what it be like if we used the other 60%!

I think the part you may be thinking of is the thingy (distribution block? help me out guys)that distributes the braking power of the ABS to the various wheels. That is the subject of the one service bulletin that seems to cover this system, so maybe that's why your mechanic picked up on it.<P>The deal is, IF that part is bad, you are likely to experience intermittent one-wheel lockup during panic stops. This is a bad situation and has led to some serious wrecks. It is one of the situations that is included in our request to GM and NHTSA to issue a recall.<P>The open road test that Wally suggests is okay, but. The BUT is that this one-wheel lockup is intermittent. So, if during your test you brake straight and true, that's no guaratee that when you need to brake because the guy in front of you dropped his electric shaver and coffee, you won't just go careening off into the opposing traffic.<P>I don't really like to scare you, but that is exactly the situation you are facing, IF that is the part that has failed.<P>I'm with the others on this. Go change the relays (just swap them and see if the indication changes in your display panel). If so, buy the relays and have done with it.<P>If it is your accumulator or pump, you can diagnose those and then fix it. I suggest this is better than going without ABS.<P>If that block thingy is bad, disconnect your ABS until you fix it. A one wheel lockup during panic stops is not the sort of thing you want to experience, even on a closed highway with six lanes to play with.<P>

Guest wally888

Strange how these posts come and go w/o ever hearing back from the originator.<BR> If you email me direct I will give you a web address where you can scan a DRAFT of an<BR>article re. the brakes, may help.<BR> I think you are trying to recall, Valve Block or Electronic Brake Control Module?<BR>Certainly a problem w/ the ECBM would trigger a yellow light. The valve block, I don't know. Will look at manual.<BR> I agree w/ Bob. 1st replace main relay -$8.<BR>The rolling anti lock test, take at your own risk!<BR> We are trying to offer and gather info. Please inform us of what action you take to solve problem and how the cause was determined.

Well, I got the car back a few days ago, and it runs great. I took the test where I slam on the breaks, and it works fine, no problems at all. I also have had to stop in rain very quickly a few times, and have had no trouble. So everything is fine as of now.<P>Scott