Bumper fillers

Guest MoeSzyslak

Guest MoeSzyslak

I have an 85 Seville and the fillers are rotten. I've seen aftermarket versions that are either ABS or Fiberglass. I don't know which is better.

Also, as long as I'm on the subject... many years ago I was driving a new at the time Seville and had a minor accident. The front bumper was pushed in a little, maybe an inch, flexing the rubber filler. The bumper returned to its original position within a couple hours as did the rubber filler. It seems to me that if the filler piece wasn't flexible the impact would have carried through to the fender, causing damage. Isn't putting hard plastic there instead of flexible rubber a bad idea? Or is it a case of the rubber versions not being available and anything is better than the awful looking gaps.

Thanks-

Moe

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen them as well. I never had to replace them, but I have seen plenty of ratty-caddies that have a "floating bumper" following the car when the fillers rotted away. The front and rear fillers are supposed to be pliable (when these cars were new). They certainly were not fiberglass but some kind of plastic (like modern so-called bumpers are). The trick is painting them of course. There are a number of resources out there that offer these parts. Good luck.

Guest MoeSzyslak

Tanks Clamshell.

I wonder why no one bothers to make flexible fillers. Doesnt deem like it would be any harder than making rigid ones. confused.gif

I guess I'll have to check out a junkyard and see if there is a car with decent ones.